• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What has been your biggest handloading Challenge?

I've found the most reward and challenge in making my own 410 shotshells with 303 and 444 Marlin brass. The Martin chambers well, but i have to spend a good while filing the head down so each piece will clear reaction when closed. I reform the 303brit a total of three times each before i even consider loading with shot. Sure I could get a 410 press, but it is so much more rewarding to use brass... plus the brass uses LR primer so i can save the 209s for the 12 and 16 shotshells. As an added plus, loaded properly with BP and wads /cards I use the 444 dies to roll crimp the shell on the overshot card.

My biggest challenge is finding the time to do what I love. There's nothing like shooting those one hole groups with quality handloads. I seem to work more in batch stages now. I'll sit down and do a pile of .308, 6.8 or .223 brass. Just do the case prep, not load a single round.

Load development is also a huge challenge now. I used to have a 100 yard range in my backyard. I got so spoiled to being able to work up a great load in one afternoon. Now, I have to load a few of this and a few of that, make a trip to the range, see what does what, make notes and go back to the drawing board.

I miss my range.
​:blue:

A problem common to all of us ... that's why I feel that it so important to have access to loading data that provides data on "best" experienced loads for a given projectile type / size and powder used. I realize that we all have differing goals: power, accuracy, cost, powder type, powder metering ability, etc. Unfortunately, lots of what is posted will be loads that can / may work, but that are crafted from available rather than optimum components. I would rather start my quest for an optimum load based upon published data on optimum loads ... which begs the question: Why do reloading manuals only highlight optimum loads and not provide a ranking of other loads published? Heck, powder manufacturer's tables don't even give you that!

My personal goals are: Accuracy, powder metering ability, powder type (ones that are applicable across a wide range of the calibers that I load), cost, and safety (I prefer powders that tend to fill the case and thereby minimize the likelihood of double or squib loads). Starting with a published loading that is marginal is a frustrating process that normally ends in disappointment.

I have seen many postings on this forum requesting loading data for components that will never yield an optimum loading ... Heck, I done it myself!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom