• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What has been your biggest handloading Challenge?

BHJ

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
37   0
Reaction score
I'm primarily a centerfire rifle guy. Nothing like the performance of a projectile that goes exactly where you aim it at 2500-4000fps I also dabble in a few magnum handgun loadings as that's about the only way I can afford to shoot em.

My most challenging project so far has been to recreate some obsolete blackpowder .32 rimfire shotgun shells for a rare old Stevens favorite chambered in it. I bought the gun as a curio and relic, ammo unavailable and thought to myself "A challenge" "We'll see about that!" Indeed it was much more difficult than I could have imagined. There were no commercial parent cases available period. I tried everything I could think of including contacting several obsolete ammo manufacturers and nothing worked. Finally I found some cases that were hand turned brass billet with an offset primer pocket which used a starter pistol crimp for ignition. ($5 each at DGW) After looking around on the net I found some old data as to what the original loading for the .32 rimfire long used to be and decided by reducing it just a little I'd probably be safe. I tried several ways to form the body of the shotshell including drinking straws and finally hand rolled typing paper glued at the seams. Very tedious to make but it worked better than the straw. I loaded the shells with 9gr of FFFG black powder (original loading was 11gr) and then inserted a wad cut from a styrofoam egg crate. This was then topped of with 70gr of #9 lead shot.(original rifle loadings were 90gr cast) and then crimped the end of the paper and added a dab of elmers glue. These shotshells are very fragile so you cant just throw a handfull in your pocket and go but they are a lot of fun with recoil similar to a .22LR or a pellet gun.
The completion of that project was definitely a rush as I'm probably the only guy to fire one of those sweet old plinkers in the last several decades. I cant wait to roll some up for the grandkids and take em for a ride to the farm:) A couple of years before they're ready buy it wont be long.

Here's a video from a quick trip up to the farm to get some work done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm primarily a centerfire rifle guy. Nothing like the performance of a projectile that goes exactly where you aim it at 2500-4000fps I also dabble in a few magnum handgun loadings as that's about the only way I can afford to shoot em.

My most challenging project so far has been to recreate some obsolete blackpowder .32 rimfire shotgun shells for a rare old Stevens favorite chambered in it. I bought the gun as a curio and relic, ammo unavailable and thought to myself "A challenge" "We'll see about that!" Indeed it was much more difficult than I could have imagined. There were no commercial parent cases available period. I tried everything I could think of including contacting several obsolete ammo manufacturers and nothing worked. Finally I found some cases that were hand turned brass billet with an offset primer pocket which used a starter pistol crimp for ignition. ($5 each at DGW) After looking around on the net I found some old data as to what the original loading for the .32 rimfire long used to be and decided by reducing it just a little I'd probably be safe. I tried several ways to form the body of the shotshell including drinking straws and finally hand rolled typing paper glued at the seams. Very tedious to make but it worked better than the straw. I loaded the shells with 9gr of FFFG black powder (original loading was 11gr) and then inserted a wad cut from a styrofoam egg crate. This was then topped of with 70gr of #9 lead shot.(original rifle loadings were 90gr cast) and then crimped the end of the paper and added a dab of elmers glue. These shotshells are very fragile so you cant just throw a handfull in your pocket and go but they are a lot of fun with recoil similar to a .22LR or a pellet gun.
The completion of that project was definitely a rush as I'm probably the only guy to fire one of those sweet old plinkers in the last several decades. I cant wait to roll some up for the grandkids and take em for a ride to the farm:) A couple of years before they're ready buy it wont be long.

Here's a video from a quick trip up to the farm to get some work done.

This os why I am a handloader! Congratulations on your accomplishment. I am jealous!

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest challenge is finding the time to do what I love. There's nothing like shooting those one hole groups with quality handloads. I seem to work more in batch stages now. I'll sit down and do a pile of .308, 6.8 or .223 brass. Just do the case prep, not load a single round.

Load development is also a huge challenge now. I used to have a 100 yard range in my backyard. I got so spoiled to being able to work up a great load in one afternoon. Now, I have to load a few of this and a few of that, make a trip to the range, see what does what, make notes and go back to the drawing board.

I miss my range.
​:blue:

Working up loads for 7mm STWs.

I've had several sent to me and only about 1/3 will get anywhere near their supposed max velocities. There have been several different brands of rifles, including some high end custom that have been like this. Most of them are 200 or even 300 feet per second slower than they should be and are very disappointing to their owners. I even had one of them that we could not produce ammo for at safe pressures even with minimum loads. I now warn people away from this cartridge and tell them to get a RUM if they want a very fast 7mm.

I suppose my biggest challenge would be the problem of getting the resizing die set up when I first stated reloading 5.7X28. If any of you guys have fired a FiveseveN or a PS-90, you know what that does to the shoulder of the brass. It does things that I personally have never seen any other gun do to brass. The shoulder is thrown about 1/8 inch forward and is rounded, the blowback design of both guns does that to the brass. When I first started reloading the 5.7, I had problems with the die crushing the brass before it even started sizing it. I wasted so much brass that it wasn't even funny. I finally had to call RCBS and they talked me through setting up the die properly. I now don't have any problem loading it.

I don't know if it would be considered a challenge, more of a decision to me, but I am still looking for my sweetheart loads. There are so many tiny variables that make such a big difference it can be a challenge to pick just one and get it to the point of saying that is as good as it will get. Throw in poor shooting skills and you could chase your tail forever. That is also the enjoyment I find in it though. When it all comes together and a hole appears where I want it to when I pull my trigger.

Back
Top Bottom