• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are y’all cooking for Easter Dinner

elmer_fudd_bug_bunny.jpg

We have always had the traditional ham and potato salad and deviled eggs etc.. Last year tradition died due to us not being able to gather. This year we are excited to gather but have decided to have hamburgers for dinner at my inlaws. My wife offered to make a traditional Easter lunch but in reality my kids could not care less about what we have and prefer burgers.

Easter since I was a kid was a big deal. It was a traditional Polish breakfast with the family with tons of smoked cold meats, Hard boiled eggs and Polish pastries and candies. I still have the solid Easter lamb made of sugar that I bought after I moved from my Mother and Fathers home. There was a Polish radio show that was on that started with a short Mass and blessings, and morphed into polkas and songs. When I married my wife, I continued with the tradition, even though she was a Southern Baptist and had never seen anything like it. It was easy getting everything I needed, as the city of New Britain, was considered "little Poland" with Polish Markets and Bakeries lining an entire street. Last year was the 1st one that I missed, as there just ain't European markets up the road. But, after a bit of searching I did find one as close to what I had when I lived north. I took a ride the other day up to Patak's Market in Austell. While it's more of a German market, it had a good assortment of Polish food, and I bought a nice variety of meat and was surprised they had fresh kielbasa, meat pierogi, and Chalwah, which is a filled candy that melts in your mouth. So this Sunday I'm reviving the tradition, right down to the radio show. I can listen to it online, as it's been passed down to the Great-Great Grandchildren of the original host. I'll post some pics of the table when set up. Happy Easter to all.

Easter side I was a kid was a big deal. It was a traditional Polish breakfast with the family with tons of smoked cold meats, Hard boiled eggs and Polish pastries and candies. I still have the solid Easter lamb made of sugar that I bought after I moved from my Mother and Fathers home. There was a Polish radio show that was on that started with a short Mass and blessings, and morphed into polkas and songs. When I married my wife, I continued with the tradition, even though she was a Southern Baptist and had never seen anything like it. It was easy getting everything I needed, as the city of New Britain, was considered "little Poland" with Polish Markets and Bakeries lining an entire street. Last year was the 1st one that I missed, as there just ain't European markets up the road. But, after a bit of searching I did find one as close to what I had when I lived north. I took a ride the other day up to Patak's Market in Austell. While it's more of a German market, it had a good assortment of Polish food, and I bought a nice variety of meat and was surprised they had fresh kielbasa, meat pierogi, and Chalwah, which is a filled candy that melts in your mouth. So this Sunday I'm reviving the tradition, right down to the radio show. I can listen to it online, as it's been passed down to the Great-Great Grandchildren of the original host. I'll post some pics of the table when set up. Happy Easter to all.
I love tradition. It helps us hold on to the memories.

Back
Top Bottom