• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Were you caught with your pants down?

Just a noob question as I have not reconciled what happens when SHTF. I have adult kids and 2 grandkids in Atlanta. I have animals I love. My neighborhood is full of families with various ages of kids. I cannot support the whole area but neither could I let then starve if it really came to that nor do I have a place I could sneak off to. If you decide to shelter in place what happens when the neighbors look to you for guidance ( too late of course).

1) DO NOT TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU HAVE
2) Be prepared to defend what is yours or lose it.

We had plenty of room for prep stuff when we lived in the old Forestry Office in Ft Valley. The garage was big enough for a bucket truck. When we moved to Darien we had very little room for extra stuff. Since getting back to Perry we have a little more room but not a lot. But we had been restocking for most of the last year's since getting back. It helps if you know how to work the coupon deals like my wife does. Yeah she's one of those ladies at Kroger with the binder full and divided into sections.
I got TP pretty early on and we had plenty of bottled and city water. I got the last 3 cans of Dollar General Lysol to be had back in early March. I'd like to have more rubbing alcohol and ammo but wouldn't we all?

The only impact this has had on us is I haven’t been able to go down and work on my parents farm. Other than that it is business as usual as we have everything we need.

Reactions: GFB
The only impact this has had on us is I haven’t been able to go down and work on my parents farm. Other than that it is business as usual as we have everything we need.
We're set ok. I really don't have looong term stuff. Like ten year stable. We have a 5 gallon bucket of emergency stuff it gets turned at new years. Rest is what we normally keep. Found out when fridge froze up and had to eat all the stuff in the freezer to cut it off that it took 3 weeks to eat it all.

Yep, with pants down. Had very little extra supply of food.
No extra pet food-- although there was not a shortage this time around I can see where that may be a problem in the future and I should start stockpiling that.

I did not have enough extra toilet paper, cleaning supplies, or even soap and shampoo for personal hygiene.

The only thing I got right was to have a lot of water --probably 25 gallons on hand.

The hard part is what do you prepare for? A tornado? Different Pandemic? Flood? Water shortage? Food shortage? Bankrupt federal government? Gangs in the streets? Invasion by Cubans? Mass terror attacks on the power grid? Nuclear fallout? Hard to say what we'll be faced with........

Sure the basic supplies apply to all of these (food, water, ammo, etc) but it's hard for me to say "I'm fully prepared" when you don't know what we'll have to face 5 or 10+ years from how. I just try to have the basics on hand. It is a reminder to plan for what you can and be ready to deal with the unexpected.

The hard part is what do you prepare for? A tornado? Different Pandemic? Flood? Water shortage? Food shortage? Bankrupt federal government? Gangs in the streets? Invasion by Cubans? Mass terror attacks on the power grid? Nuclear fallout? Hard to say what we'll be faced with........

Sure the basic supplies apply to all of these (food, water, ammo, etc) but it's hard for me to say "I'm fully prepared" when you don't know what we'll have to face 5 or 10+ years from how. I just try to have the basics on hand. It is a reminder to plan for what you can and be ready to deal with the unexpected.
Prep for the worst, hope for the best

After 89 earthquake in the Bay and then Pinatubo in the Phillipines, and the Provide hope in Russia.
I’m good for a loooooong time

I have plenty of everything - BUT

I use to have a big garden every year. I could get 3 crops out of the same area. I 'd get so much, I had to learn how to can.
I enjoyed canning and putting fresh stuff on the shelf, it's sort of like stacking silver coins, lol.

But in those days I only had a 3 day work week and plenty of time to enjoy looking after the veggies.

Somehow after retiring I ended up in a job that's 5,6 or sometimes 7 days a week, so there's no time for the garden.
I wish I had a garden again, it would be a great time for it, fresh veggies without going to the store.
Grocery stores make me uncomfortable now, empty shelves is not something I'm use to seeing in this country.
It reminds me of being in a poor country overseas....
It's not "HOME".

Back
Top Bottom