• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Well I did it

Started about a year ago, Lee turret press. Mainly .45 ACP. Some .38 spl and .357 mag. My 3 year old granddaughter helps me. Been casting my own .45's too. I like it.

036.jpg

I call it bullets, bluegrass and bourbon.

RCBS has an unconditional lifetime warranty. I broke the decapping pin in my 223 die, called them up, and a few days later I had new parts to fix my die. I think Lee has only a one year warranty on their dies if you read the fine print.

I have Lee, RCBS and even some Hornady die sets.

To me it's always been a great stress reliever. After you get the brass and buy bullets ,primers and powder in bulk you'll save money!
I've been saving brass for the past few years, I knew this day was coming. Now it's just going to be the other 3 and I'll be set.

First off, getting into reloading is a HUGE mistake... you're going to spend a LOT of time "hiding" in the basement, and depending on the caliber you use and IF you use enough case lube, you'll be grunting a lot. And then you'll have to explain WHY one arm is more 'muscular' than the other (remember back the ribbing in high school?)
Point "B"... it's not as cheap as you think. Before reloading, you just got enough ammo for that session at the range, maybe saved a box or two for later... NOW, you're going to end up with several THOUSAND rounds in EACH caliber stockpiled. That means "acquiring" the shells, finding the RIGHT powder, and the bullets themselves aren't cheap unless you can find them in bulk. AND now you have to "test" fire them to see if you like the way they shoot!

I say give it up before you get started... I'd be willing to intervene on your behalf and take the press and equipment off your hands.

You have to remember to never turn the turret with the ram in the down position, it will damage the guide on the shaft that indexes the turret. They are cheep and lots of videos on replacing them. Buy a dozen.

Back
Top Bottom