Water Storage

MMatt30

Default rank <5000 posts
Hey.....pull my finger.
24   0
Reaction score
I have 10 of these 5 gallon containers filled with water.

I filled them up with tap water a couple of years ago. They have stored in my basement.

Basically what I want to know is should I drain the water out of these periodically or are they fine?

Attachments

• blue storage.jpg
    blue storage.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 37
Oh damn, I keep used motor oil in them blue jugs!

Yes, I would defenitely change the water out at least twice a year. Good on ya for being in a "ready state"!

Getting some BPA free HDPE bottles would be my recommendation. Rotation is key, switch from drinking tap, or individual bottles of water and fill up the 5 gallon ones at a refill station like they have at Kroger or Publix. I have water stored up and a 5 gallon dispenser in the fridge that we use for drinking and cooking, it's $0.22 a gallon. So when that thing is empty I get one of the 5 gallons stored in the front and we just refill it when we head to the grocery store then it goes in the back. That way we are never drinking water that is more than a month or so old, just like a store rotates it's stock. Oh yeah, store it in a dark and as cool of a place as possible.

Oh damn, I keep used motor oil in them blue jugs!

Seriously...lol.

I have started to store our old liter Coke bottles with water. I must have 20 of them. They are bulky and don't hold that much but don't leach chemicals and are free

I started off that way. But it became a PITA and then some would leak.

Some plastics are very-very-bad to leach petrochemicals into your drinking water.

You may want to check the "recycle triangle" and see which number it is because it will determine which "plastic" the container is made of, then google that code.

~Glad of your being prepared!

I found these for a steal a few years back at a salvage store in Carrollton. Also bought a bunch of Catholic prayer candles too.....lol. My wife asked me why I bought those and I told her in case we ever need light.

Anyway, I naively assumed that since they were food grade containers they would be ok. I'll check the number on them when I get to the house. I'll also swap the water out. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom