• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Warning........Received

Status
Not open for further replies.
So VHinch, since it has been spelled out in the rules for 4 years, why is it only enforced occasionally? I used GLWS yesterday. Did you forget it was a rule, or just not an important one.
Members, please make a note of this thread. VHinch knows the rule has been in place for 4 years, but seldom if ever enforces it.
Provide a link and I will rectify that error... LOL

Reactions: JWC
The OP posted nothing more than GLWS in the midst of a string of comments that were dogpiling that particular user's thread. Whether intended that way or not, it was construed as sarcastic and removed. And he didn't get a warning, he got a rules reminder with no points.

I honestly don't know what more clarification you could want. Don't post GLWS, or anything else for that matter, that may get taken as negative or sarcastic. OS can chime in here if he wants, but he's going to tell you exactly the same thing.

To be honest... Until I read this thread, I never used GLWS as a negative and never considered any other ODT'er using GLWS was using it in either a negative or sarcastic manner...

It's really very simple. If it can be construed as negative, sarcastic, whatever, don't post it in someone's ad.

The overwhelming majority of the time if we tag a GLWS comment, it's because someone reported it. Like I said earlier, if one person perceives it as negative someone else would too and it doesn't belong in the ad.

VHinch VHinch but that's not what started this thread. It was specifically stated that saying GLWS was forbidden....period....I believe that's what OP was talking about and what I was seeking clarification on......this thread has turned into a monster....

To reiterate here's what I asked that still hasn't been answered....

Okuma Okuma

I call for further clarification of this rule. I think it's unfair for people to get warning points for using GLWS or GLWT. I get it if you use these acronyms to be a smart ass to the person or to be rude, but if you use it in an obviously positive way, you should not get a warning for this.

VHinch VHinch but that's not what started this thread. It was specifically stated that saying GLWS was forbidden....period....I believe that's what OP was talking about and what I was seeking clarification on......this thread has turned into a monster....

To reiterate here's what I asked that still hasn't been answered....

Here's the rule verbatim:

Do not make negative comments in other people’s threads. Repeat offenders will be temporarily banned and then permanently banned. It gets really old reminding the same users over and over to keep their comments to themselves. Everyone is allowed to ask whatever price they want for their items and it is their problem if no one wants it for that price. Also, do not hijack people's listings. If the post starter is actively participating in the conversation in their own listing that is fine. If you have activity that is unwanted in your listing please contact a moderator to clean it up for you. (Posting a factual problem with the ad is fine and not considered a negative comment, an example is someone listing a Glock for sale but they have a picture of a Sig) ***This rule has been expanded to include popcorn smilies, sarcastic GLWS comment, etc.

So if it was stated or inferred that "GLWS" in any context violates a rule, that's incorrect. It's only an issue when used sarcastically. The catch there is that the sarcastic context is a matter of interpretation, and if it can be construed as negative or sarcastic, that's how it will be treated.

......but OP wasn't being sarcastic and got a warning.....that's how all this got started..........:doh:

VHinch did clarify that GLWS is not banned term and can be used in a positive manner. The reason I was confused was because some were saying that GLWS could not be used at all in an ad. Which, as it turned out, was not the case. The rules specifically applies to "sarcastic" GLWS comments. Despite what some believe, most of the members here know the rules. It became very apparent to me that some in charge are not really clear on the use of GLWS. Hopefully, those in charge will learn from VHinch's clarification. Which is really just the same rule we have had for....maybe 4 years, I don't know. Here is how the rule reads. Oh, and the popcorn imogee and smilies are part of the rules.

Continue using GLWS comments in ads if they are not sarcastic. I am.

Do not make negative comments in other people’s threads

***This rule has been expanded to include popcorn smilies, sarcastic GLWS comment, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom