• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Wanting to get into “laid back” competition shooting

You want some laid-back shooting try metallic silhouette matches. No running, no gunning, no dressing up, no one behind you with a clock, no "bs". Just plain standing unsupported rifle shooting. Shooting at steel animal shape targets. No need for any high dollar shooting rifles/equipment.

I’ve done the Griffin steel challenge once, 10 years ago. (I don’t live in the area).
It was fun. The plates were fairly big and close. Pinpoint accuracy not required.
for some of the biggest, closest plates, a few shooters would pop them so fast, I don’t know if they aimed the sights or just pointed the gun.

Sounds like steel challenge would be a good fit. It’s fun and griffin runs a good match. First weekend of the month. It’s friendly for all ages and guns (handguns and PCCs).

Steel challenge or GSSF is the easiest to start. You need a holster if shooting centerfire handgun in SC. Other than the 5 mags, you don't need any other equipment.

YUK0N YUK0N

Pm me if you can make it to Columbus the 1st Sunday of the month.

I know of a small group of guys who meet monthly to shoot for fun. I would have went today but I wasn’t in town. It is on a private range in town.... there are simple rules and no pressure or big shots.

$10 buy in and they provide eyes and ears. Bring at least 200 rounds of 9mm. You can use one of my 9’s if you like.

I used to shoot steel at Griffin a lot. Good shoot there. Friday afternoon and Sat shoot.

Cherokee has a steel shoot and a rimfire shoot that has pistol and rifle. It's a fun laid back shoot.
Wheeler Wheeler can hopefully offer more Cherokee info.

I haven't been able to participate in the matches as much as I'd of liked to last year. That being said, Cherokee Gun Club has a shooting discipline to fit most every person except long range rifle. We still have the Rimfire Challenge, Steel Challenge (unsanctioned,) IDPA, USPSA, Extreme Rimfire, Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays, Cowboy Action, a tactical rifle match and a black powder only rifle match. You can take a look at the club calendar at www.cherokeegunclub.org There are plans to start up an NRA style rimfire match and perhaps a NRL22 match but I wouldn't look for those this year.

A word of caution, with every competition there are competitors. Some competitors take their competing rather seriously and thus aren't very laid back.

I hope this helps.

Check out Cowboy Action. Not a lot of "Running around", and you can't be too serious when you're dressed up like a Cowboy!

The Club in Griffin shoots this coming Saturday, Feb 9

Me too.
And no, I don’t know of one.

For a while I thought bowling pin matches would be good, since there’s no running or ducking or using cover.
But even the pin matches have ridiculous rules about the course of fire you have to memorize.
Ex: Stage 1, shoot left to right only.
Stage 2, shoot right to left only.
Stage 3, shoot left pin, then farthest right pin, then second-to-left pin, then second-to-right pin...

Silliness. I want a shooting competition, not a game of “Simon Says.”

Don't know where you are shooting pins... come to Norcross every other Monday or Bullseye Lawrenceville any Thursday. Don't spread misinformation from your ignorance of all the other places that shoot "pins" or equivalent.

Cherokee "Tactical Rifle" match. Obviously it's timed, otherwise it's not a competition, it's practice. But super laid back. No serious memorization, and everyone is super friendly and helpful. Feb 24th.

You don't need a shotgun-- sometimes there are zero shotgun stages. If there are, borrow one. Everyone-- and I mean everyone-- will hand you theirs. Pick one you know how to operate and go. There's never more than 15 shotgun shells fired, anyway. Bring a box of 7.5s and bum a gun.

Back
Top Bottom