• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

VV-N350 in 10mm

tayninh69

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
Anyone tried this powder in 10mm with 180gr bullets? Read an older article in Handloader with a lot of loads for 10mm and this powder was singled out for it's combination of velocity and accuracy. Speers latest manual does list it in their loadings for 10mm/180gr but they didn't get near the same velocities. (primer & bullet the same) Just thought I'd ask if anyone here had tried it and, if so, what were the results.

I'm not in any manner "tight" with my money, but the price of Vihtavuori powders turns me off of even wanting to try any of it. I'm quite sure it's worth every penny, just not for me.

If I shot competitively and was convinced my powder was holding me back and negatively affecting my scores, then yes I would try it. Longshot has been very good in the 40 S&W for me, it may also work well in the 10mm?

Yeah, it does cost more. Longshot does work well in 10mm, about 35% higher in price than Alliant powders where I found some. Many say Blue Dot for 10mm but I couldn't get closer than 100 fps to the velocities in Hornady's manual so I wanted to try something else. A friend with years more loading experience than myself pointed out some subtle primer changes I had with LS. This was below Hodgdon's load max. Who knows?.....I might not get what I'm looking for out of the N350 but I gotta try....:D

You lnow I think I tell everyone this but have you tried titegroup. This is by far the most versatile powder out there IMO.
titegroup will work good I feel that acc #7 does the best but tite group was a close second in light loads I could not tell much difference but when I got to 220 gr the 7 shined

I use Bluedot for the 155 grain bullets with good accuracy and use Longshot with my 200gr WFNGC bullet for hunting. The 200gr is a tack driver in my 1911.

I seen no advantages to using Vihtavuori beacause if I'm gonna be reloading it is either because I want superior accuracy or save money. If you are gonna reload 10mm for accuracy and or power AA#9 has always appeared to reign supreme with the close to 1400fps loads and even still I see no advantages when you can just order Double Tap. If you are just wanting to reload it just to do it or for competition accuracy I say use AA#9.

EDIT:

Sorry that is the hot load with 155gr. For 180gr AA#9 is not as good cause it takes up a lot of volume, I have seen it get to about 1250. Most barn burning 180 loads I have seen use IMR 800. I have seen it get to a hair over 1300 with a 180gr.

Last edited:
Yeah, I looked at the burn rate charts and saw the same thing. Like I originally said, I'm trying to duplicate some loads from a magazine article....maybe they're full of it.....won't know till I try. AA#7 seems a good choice from what I've seen.....AA#9 a little faster but using almost 40% per load more powder than some other loads. I've had some AA#9 on order from a local gun store for awhile.....he waits for enough orders to offset the haz mat fees. I ordered some N350 so I'll find out when it comes in. Just thought I'd ask if anyone had tried it. Just my opinion, but I'd go with Underwood if I were to buy any 'boutique' loads. Thanks for the replies.

I have used a lot of their powders including all of the n series of powders. They give top velocity given the right powder is chosen and are very clean burning powders, very consistent shot to shot. N105 would be a better choice for 180gr 10mm but, N350 would be my second. I like N350 because it works well in my 9mm, 357 sig, 40s&w, 400 corbon, 10mm and 45 ACP. That being said my goto powder is Alliant Power Pistol in most everything.

Back
Top Bottom