• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Untrained gun-owners ineffective (less effective)at self-defense.... great article

Nice listings. I wasn't referring to (guess I'm a little slow but I didn't lnow/realize you did classes) but I was referring to all the wanna be cops and libtards that think you need a badge in order to have the correct training. Kinda like yourself, I don't have time or cash to spend on something that should be second nature.

If there is one thing I've learned is that 99% of the people who have a gun for possible use in self-defense are both unprepared & unqualified to do so.
The speed, surprise, & violence of an attack induces the "flight, fight, or freeze" response with most people doing the latter simply because they haven't trained their mind & body on how to respond & have no plan on how to react.

On any field of combat.... whether it be a physical fight, football game, or even a video game the "newbie" or beginner has a huge disadvantage against those with experience.
If a person w/o any training stepped into the octagon in an MMA fight against a veteran the outcome would be very consistent w/ VERY few exceptions.

A fight, possibly to the death, with a gun is not very forgiving because the prize you are fighting for is your life.

If there is one thing I've learned is that 99% of the people who have a gun for possible use in self-defense are both unprepared & unqualified to do so.
The speed, surprise, & violence of an attack induces the "flight, fight, or freeze" response with most people doing the latter simply because they haven't trained their mind & body on how to respond & have no plan on how to react.

On any field of combat.... whether it be a physical fight, football game, or even a video game the "newbie" or beginner has a huge disadvantage against those with experience.
If a person w/o any training stepped into the octagon in an MMA fight against a veteran the outcome would be very consistent w/ VERY few exceptions.

A fight, possibly to the death, with a gun is not very forgiving because the prize you are fighting for is your life.
well said. People also put confidence only in their hardware but lack proper software. I for one would love more realistic training with not only hardware but how to strategically/tactically/practically use my software to get the most out of my hardware when it matters

I think some carry a gun like a lucky rabbits foot. Just having it will ward off the bad guys...mma is a great example you gave. Having trained mma for years, I have learned there is more to protection than just "carry a gun." And your mindset cannot be "just carry a gun." Train your mind, body, emotions, and use all tools available (in some cases, a firearm. )

I was fortunate growing up and have always had guns as well as have always had to be prepared for the unknown. You are 100% correct as I believe most people would probably shoot themselves trying to get their gun out in a bad situation.

This is assuming the law abiding gun owner is the no training amateur. The bad guy with a gun we may encounter is probably not an ex navy seal. In all likelihood he has put fewer rounds downrange that the average gun owner who doesn't shoot much. The advantage they have, is that they know an encounter is coming and you probably don't. It's not an advantage of training, marksmanship, etc. Reaction time and immediate violent response I think would be more helpful than anything else. The ability to recognise the threat and immediately respond means more than days of training and thousands of rounds.

There are many gun owners, very few of which could be considered adequately trained, that defend themselves and their families everyday. Just going off of Lott's statistics or another metric, the vast majority of encounters would have to involve these untrained individuals.

I've taken classes, and plan to again in the future. Training is great, but most will never take any, and most that do will never take more than a basic safety, this is the dangerous end, type of class. I think we do these people a disservice by implying they won't be able to defend themselves if they have to.

I would suggest that anyone who relies on a gun for self-defense is, "In the self-defense business... for better or for worse.

As far as myself I am doing very little training right now & not looking for anymore new classes till at least mid-fall.

Here is the reason why:
http://reporting.loopnet.com/report/d5a7c1fe-3a0f-429f-b17e-cf3b139197f3
(I have around $25 mil. in total listings and real estate is very busy)

However I believe anyone serious about protecting their loved ones as well as themselves should invest both time & money in the best, most practical training they can afford and/ or find.
that's every where darn near that i have worked around in Dalton and Ringold...pass these regularly.. GLWS!

This is assuming the law abiding gun owner is the no training amateur. The bad guy with a gun we may encounter is probably not an ex navy seal. In all likelihood he has put fewer rounds downrange that the average gun owner who doesn't shoot much. The advantage they have, is that they know an encounter is coming and you probably don't. It's not an advantage of training, marksmanship, etc. Reaction time and immediate violent response I think would be more helpful than anything else. The ability to recognise the threat and immediately respond means more than days of training and thousands of rounds.

There are many gun owners, very few of which could be considered adequately trained, that defend themselves and their families everyday. Just going off of Lott's statistics or another metric, the vast majority of encounters would have to involve these untrained individuals.

I've taken classes, and plan to again in the future. Training is great, but most will never take any, and most that do will never take more than a basic safety, this is the dangerous end, type of class. I think we do these people a disservice by implying they won't be able to defend themselves if they have to.
but the opposite side of an attack is the unexpected response of the potential victim and that disconnect if taken can get you to or gun or out of harms way

I didn't make it beyond this "National Gun Victims Action Council". Yes, if you have a firearm you should know how to use it. Just like you should know how to use any tool you have. But the day I am so naive that I start trumpeting or parroting the opinions of those in favor of more gun control laws, just take my guns, please. I'm no longer an asset.

Back
Top Bottom