• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Untrained gun-owners ineffective (less effective)at self-defense.... great article

Mental training is just as, if not more, important than physical training. One line from "Rules of a Gunfight" is invaluable to improve your awareness and as a mental exercise to deal with a vast variety of situations.

"Be polite, but have a plan how to kill anyone you meet."

Nice listings. I wasn't referring to (guess I'm a little slow but I didn't lnow/realize you did classes) but I was referring to all the wanna be cops and libtards that think you need a badge in order to have the correct training. Kinda like yourself, I don't have time or cash to spend on something that should be second nature.
This is assuming the law abiding gun owner is the no training amateur. The bad guy with a gun we may encounter is probably not an ex navy seal. In all likelihood he has put fewer rounds downrange that the average gun owner who doesn't shoot much. The advantage they have, is that they know an encounter is coming and you probably don't. It's not an advantage of training, marksmanship, etc. Reaction time and immediate violent response I think would be more helpful than anything else. The ability to recognise the threat and immediately respond means more than days of training and thousands of rounds.

There are many gun owners, very few of which could be considered adequately trained, that defend themselves and their families everyday. Just going off of Lott's statistics or another metric, the vast majority of encounters would have to involve these untrained individuals.

I've taken classes, and plan to again in the future. Training is great, but most will never take any, and most that do will never take more than a basic safety, this is the dangerous end, type of class. I think we do these people a disservice by implying they won't be able to defend themselves if they have to.

I agree with some of your statement. For some of the reasons you stated myself other schools put a great emphasis on recognizing predatory behavior & avoiding confrontation... from Jeff Coopers teachings till modern day Instructors.

And while I do agree that most people will never take a formal class, and as "sheepdog" stated, they treat their firearm much like a lucky charm or amulet hoping its very presence will ward off evil.

While there are many accounts of "untrained" persons successfully defending themselves I would contend that there are just as many or even more cases where the outcome of a violent confrontation was disastrous... in part largely due to a lack of mental & physical preparedness. Many (but not all of course) of the successful self-defense shooting accounts I've read over the years had to do with the victims being inside a locked up home or vehicle where the attacker(s) were delayed breaking into the home/ vehicle thereby giving the resident time to react & prepare mentally & physically. Fewer of those accounts seem to be street encounters. One common positive outcome is that when a firearm is introduced into the situation by the victim (prey) quite often the "predator" becomes the "prey" & quickly departs to find an easier target.

I stand by my statements that even an inexperienced beginner can be lucky enough to "win" a play in a football game, game of checkers, or an MMA bout... but as you alluded to when your opponent has the advantage of surprise & "violence of action" the "prize" you are playing for could be your life so why not give yourself every advantage you can get?
And why not encourage your gun-owning family & friends to seek out professional instruction to have an "edge"?

Or at least take the time to SAFELY practice some exercises that induce both physical & mental stress so as to simulate a real-life confrontation?

Last edited:
Did anyone really need so-called research to realize this? It goes without saying. Sounds to me like they're looking to build a case for mandatory training.

Back
Top Bottom