Underground Pods

CCW, You could use nontreated wood and I could seal it with nonpermiable polyurea. Also can do the block walls for waterproofing. Also one of my pure poly's is a blast mitigation coating. Will stand up to 100 pounds of TNT and 4 pounds of C4 at 50 ft. I will try to find the video and post it.

Another great coating for the exterior walls would be
Geothane. Chemical resistant, water resistant, really wicked stuff. It gets applied in 2 coats, 30mils each over a 4 mil primer.

We're burying a 20ft shipping container into a dirt bank so we can still use the doors...it going to be our root/storm cellar...

Be careful with this. Shipping containers are not designed to be completely buried. In some cases it will
work just fine but most of the time, the expense of making capable of handling the loads of being buried
exceeds the cost of pouring concrete.

Could look into using two large underground drain pipes with ends welded on them. Put a sealant on it, some way in and out, vertical or stairs and bury it. Have to build a floor in, maybe not the the most room to get around. That way you can probably do it yourself with a back hoe, and no ones the wiser.

Justin

I read this thread last night before I went to bed, then something came to me in a dream:

Underground double wide trailer. Think about it...... an entire underground trailer park.

Dirt/earth exerts tremendous pressures on underground structures. Saturated red clay can easily reach 110 lbs per sq ft. If you have 2' of clay on top that 220 lbs per sq ft of constant pressure on the structure. Please have an engineer at least give your design a cursory look before doing anything that may endanger you and your family.

All treated woods are not equal, wood that comes in contact with the ground has a higher level of preservative in than your typical deck boards. Look for ground contact rated lumber if you use wood. You'll also need fasteners designed for use with the preservative in the wood, ACQ is the standard preservative in use today. Typical galvanized fasteners will rust out in as little as a year when in contact with ACQ.

What about pre fabbed septic tanks? They are concrete, designed to support the earth weight, and can be ganged together to create rooms.

Wheeler

Back
Top Bottom