Underground Pods

I think it's a great idea, I'd be hesitant to use too much wood underground. Have you thought about how you plan to enter the space from the outside as well as any reinforcement in the center to support the weight of the ground above it. I'm no expert but those are justtwo things that popped in my head

That's the kind of advice I am looking for. I plan to research for about 6 months and build it in the fall.

This would help with waterproofing and rot prevention or inhibitor. But you would possibly develop a mold issue from internal condensation without this proper ventilation.

I will think more about it

One aspect of this area that I am 100% adamant about is that it be able to serve as a fallout shelter for no less than 2 weeks.

I think it's a great idea, I'd be hesitant to use too much wood underground. Have you thought about how you plan to enter the space from the outside as well as any reinforcement in the center to support the weight of the ground above it. I'm no expert but those are justtwo things that popped in my head

As long as any wood that is in contact with the ground is treated, it should be just fine. 99.9% of basements are underground, and framed with wood.

Now that you say that your right about the wood. If this is meant to be a shelter also a few things to think about popped in my head.
1. Proper but secure ventilation (filtering?)
2. If your already going to be digging a big hole have you thought about adding some sort of large water container?
3. Maybe just go with all concrete/cinderblock walls and a wood roof. Id want to be able to bust my way out of this if something happened to the enterance.

I know a guy in central Ga that makes temporary housing from conex cubes. We have used in several area wide disasters for command centers, housing, etc. They are designed as self contained with gravity water bladders integrated onto roof deck. He mentioned once that a few people had placed static underground for this purpose. Wired and plumbed already...

I would certainly have an engineer/ architect look over a design as EMT mentioned. Money well spent, plus any codes for county, etc to be cleared.

I think you will learn alot with your research. I can come out and sit with you on the air quality, being a part of my career.

Underground gardens & homes the best of two worlds, above and below 1st ed. by Jay Swayze. Published 1980 by Geobuilding Systems

CCW, if you are serious I'd suggest you try to find a copy of this book. Amazon has a couple but not cheap at all. My local library had a copy that I read some years back. In it he will address any questions that you are likely to have from fresh air(he devised a system that draws it in) to sealing out moisture. He also address's thoughts on actually having to live temporarily underground. He built the Underground house at the 1964-65 Worlds fair and constructed them for clients after words. He even detailed one if I recall where he used an underground water source to power it. If your library has it your in luck, if not it's worth the money for what you are planning.

A very slow link with info that might help you find it.
http://openlibrary.org/books/OL4125223M/Underground_gardens_homes

Amazon link
http://www.amazon.com/Underground-g...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300422747&sr=1-1

Last edited:
I would say poured concrete walls and roof, they can reinforce the walls with rebar and you wont ever have to worry about the structure. Power and a back up generator, to supply heaters, air fans and maybe a pump for water if it were to flood. Also they make HUGE cistern tanks aswell that are made to be under ground that are 30 foot long.

One aspect of this area that I am 100% adamant about is that it be able to serve as a fallout shelter for no less than 2 weeks.

As I read through the thread, I kept thinking of the term "fallout shelter" and finally you used it. I'm probably the only one old enough to remember but during the cold war ('50's and '60's primarily) fallout shelters were very popular with real people, not just those of us with a survivalist frame of mind. People could go out and buy a fallout shelter commercially and have it installed. Don't know if any such company which provided shelters still exists, but there are probably somewhere plans, drawings, promotional material showing features, etc. Finding the material in a library, achieves, internet, etc. might keep you from having to reinvent the wheel in designing a shelter.

Back
Top Bottom