• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Toyota might start charging for remote start monthly for 2018+ model years.

coolformula

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score

This would be interesting if its RF only, and not cell related (like OnStar, subarea app on your phone that can start your vehicle). I know with Chevy without paying for the app access you can remote start via RF with the physical key fob. Seems like Toyota wants to charge you around 80 dollars a year for this after 3 or 10 years. (I didn't super dig on this)

it seems everything is going to subscription n service cause the accounts people love to see the monthly income.

hopefully Toyota will re think this move.

I bought a Toyota one year ago and it came with the remote start and I just received an e-mail telling me the service expires next week unless I start paying $8 per month. It’s a nice feature, but not going to pay for it because I rarely used it.

The video is a bit misleading and makes it sound like your key fob won’t work anymore without the subscription. Key fob still works - only the app on my phone will no longer work.

Ok so the Key fob triple click will still for remote start? (that is the part I didn't research and was wondering about).

Cause if its the APP only, which is a nice feature, most companys (chevy etc) give you around 3 years then you have to pay, that makes more sense with the industry standard. If its just the app I'm pretty cool with that. (best I can be).

I don't own a 2018+ so thank you for that info. I want one, but worst time in history to a buy a car much less a Toyota.

Y'all may want to sit down. This is going to blow your mind!

PXL_20211213_032142151.jpg

Ok so the Key fob triple click will still for remote start? (that is the part I didn't research and was wondering about).

Cause if its the APP only, which is a nice feature, most companys (chevy etc) give you around 3 years then you have to pay, that makes more sense with the industry standard. If its just the app I'm pretty cool with that. (best I can be).

I don't own a 2018+ so thank you for that info. I want one, but worst time in history to a buy a car much less a Toyota.
I didn’t even know my key fob would remote start by pressing 3 times - never tried it! My key fob is always in my pocket and I guess I never considered this feature, so no loss as far as I’m concerned.

I'm not just a Luddite I'm the king of the Luddites.
The middle boy was showing me that he could start his truck with his cellphone no matter where he was.
400 years ago I'd have had him burned at the stake.
The more complicated something is the more things that can go wrong and the more control you cede to your technomasters.

Back
Top Bottom