• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

too old for a new dog?

The Old Jaybird

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
our dog died last week, we had him for 15 years or more.

Wife and I are in mid 70s now and debating getting a new puppy/young dog. Are we too old to start again?? We can't give much exercise, walks, playing in yard etc. which wouldn't be fair to a young active pup.

What is the consensus??

OP, You and I are having the same discussions. I lost my 13 and a half year old Weimaraner a few months back and would like another companion, but was having the same conversation as you with my daughters and neighbors. My daughters are not in a position to take the canine and go forward like I would have and I would be afraid of what would become of it. I told my neighbors if God wants me to have another pet, he would have it unexpectedly appear in a situation where I could not say no. Thanks.

I would adopt a middle age dog that is healthy and calm and fits your life style, probably a dog on the smaller size. I just lost my dog of 16.5 years last week, fortunately we also had a 3.5yo dog as well to help us through the grief. I'm only 54 but I'm leaning towards mid size to smaller dogs from now on. There are lots of middle age dogs in need of homes. I don't think I would go the puppy route at your age or mine for that matter. Dogs are my favorite people.....:)

Not too old. Just don’t get a lab or something that needs lots of exercise. A smaller one you can entertain with a tennis ball in the hallway and walks to the corner.

Sorry for your loss. It stinks losing them . As someone said a rescue already trained would be a great addition.

As I am in the same position, don't get a pup! Look for a dog that has been trained to not do his duty in the house. One that has been kennel trained and obedient. Either have a fenced in area for him or her or a running line for him or her to do their business. Get one that has been fixed or get that done as soon as you can..Have the dog chipped as soon as you can and report the number to the animal control office in your county..I was blessed to be awarded one from Patriot Paws, and he's a keeper..He likes watching Animal Planet.

Freedomtv1.jpg
He's 6 1/2 years old

As I am in the same position, don't get a pup! Look for a dog that has been trained to not do his duty in the house. One that has been kennel trained and obedient. Either have a fenced in area for him or her or a running line for him or her to do their business. Get one that has been fixed or get that done as soon as you can..Have the dog chipped as soon as you can and report the number to the animal control office in your county..I was blessed to be awarded one from Patriot Paws, and he's a keeper..He likes watching Animal Planet.

View attachment 6476295He's 6 1/2 years old

Looks like he’s contemplating taking one of those bison down :lol:

our dog died last week, we had him for 15 years or more.

Wife and I are in mid 70s now and debating getting a new puppy/young dog. Are we too old to start again?? We can't give much exercise, walks, playing in yard etc. which wouldn't be fair to a young active pup.

What is the consensus??
Not sure what type of dog you had.. They are like our children. We never considered a lap dog until we rescued one and cant imagine ourlives without him..

Easy peasy and low maintenance…

Back
Top Bottom