• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tomahawks anyone

Yeah Sniper62, I like hawks. I HAD a RMJ Shrike 13 but I let a persistent friend talk me out of it (LOL). Enjoy, but don't post to many photos. It may make me sorry for parting with it.

tom hawk.jpg

i have a few of these

ive got a estwing camp axe looking for a rmj for a long time and was always a day let when anyone ever had one for sale.
so i bought one of these,then haad to buy my wife one.......................

Attachments

• 101_1617.jpg
    101_1617.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 122
ive got a estwing camp axe looking for a rmj for a long time and was always a day let when anyone ever had one for sale.
so i bought one of these,then haad to buy my wife one.......................

What brand are those hawks, especially the lower one?

I like to modify the Cold Steel hawks. They are made from 1055 carbon steel so you can really make them look better than the clear poly handle and black paint on the blade.

Here are a couple of ones that I stripped and refinished. I used a spray paint stripper to remove the poly from the handle and paint from the blade. Used weathered oak stain to bring out what little grain there is in the wood and used a propane torch to burn the handles. Drilled a hole in the end and wrapped paracord. The spike hawk was splash painted then acid etched. The rifleman's hawk was soaked in bleach over night then cleaned off and cold blued.

I've got a trail hawk now to start playing with. I keep a Cold Steel trench hawk in the car and take it camping. It isn't as fun to modify since it is just a synthetic handle but it cuts well and is light weight. I may splurge on something nicer at this year's Blade Show.

With Blade 2013 coming up I was facing a dilemma-I have all my basic blades covered-Survival: BRKT Bravo 1,Randall #16 Diver,Gerber LMF, Rat Izula, Kabar USMC. Hunting: Randall #28 Woodsman, a couple OK Olsen's. EDC: 2 JK handmade fixed blades,ZT350, couple Benchmades, several Spyderco's etc. Multi-tools: Swiss Army OHT, Leatherman Charge and Supertool.Choppers: a Condor Parang, several machetes and a Gerber hatchet. In addition a LOT of others that come in and out of rotation. It's a basic collection that of the type that most of you guys have.
Nothing new peaked my interest until my buddy picked up a United brand M-48 Commando Tomahawk. Now I had previously eyeballed and looked at them but never pursued the subject. Started researching and and read a lot-mostly from the Lightfighter, and Blade Forum.
I was going to get an SOG from Academy Sports, and then a ATC VTAC at blade but after reading this-http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...hrike+survival I decided instead of spending a lot on basic hawks just get it over and get the "Queen Mother" a RMJ Tactical Shrike S13
i43.tinypic.com_x0zqu1.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_vzdd39.jpg

I bought mine from a friend who never used it and gave in to my "persistent begging."
This thing wasn't cheap but It has a lifetime warranty, Made in the US of A, and is virtually indestructible. It's a great hiking companion, versatile-can breach a wall, cut up a car, or trim trails, and chop branches-which I can attest works great.
In my line of work I may have to make an emergency breach and this is small enough to grab and carry for that use. It will also make a hell of a weapon if needed.
Anyone else out there into Hawks?

So I was wondering do they have a hawk that is suitable for chopping fig newtons? I was thinking the $325 range for a good newton hawk.

Back
Top Bottom