• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tomahawks anyone

sniper62

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
101   0
Reaction score
With Blade 2013 coming up I was facing a dilemma-I have all my basic blades covered-Survival: BRKT Bravo 1,Randall #16 Diver,Gerber LMF, Rat Izula, Kabar USMC. Hunting: Randall #28 Woodsman, a couple OK Olsen's. EDC: 2 JK handmade fixed blades,ZT350, couple Benchmades, several Spyderco's etc. Multi-tools: Swiss Army OHT, Leatherman Charge and Supertool.Choppers: a Condor Parang, several machetes and a Gerber hatchet. In addition a LOT of others that come in and out of rotation. It's a basic collection that of the type that most of you guys have.
Nothing new peaked my interest until my buddy picked up a United brand M-48 Commando Tomahawk. Now I had previously eyeballed and looked at them but never pursued the subject. Started researching and and read a lot-mostly from the Lightfighter, and Blade Forum.
I was going to get an SOG from Academy Sports, and then a ATC VTAC at blade but after reading this-http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...hrike+survival I decided instead of spending a lot on basic hawks just get it over and get the "Queen Mother" a RMJ Tactical Shrike S13
i43.tinypic.com_x0zqu1.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_vzdd39.jpg

I bought mine from a friend who never used it and gave in to my "persistent begging."
This thing wasn't cheap but It has a lifetime warranty, Made in the US of A, and is virtually indestructible. It's a great hiking companion, versatile-can breach a wall, cut up a car, or trim trails, and chop branches-which I can attest works great.
In my line of work I may have to make an emergency breach and this is small enough to grab and carry for that use. It will also make a hell of a weapon if needed.
Anyone else out there into Hawks?

Last edited:
I love the look of a nice T hawk. I havent owned any worth meantioning yet. Survivor Johnny had a video on here a while back where he made one out of a carpenters hatchet. I think he just grinded part of the blade off and changed out the handle. Turned out good. I would think a blade side and a blunt force side would come in handy, but really don't have the experience with one to back that up.

I'd love a decent all metal Hwk. The Eastwing hatchets are tuff as hell and look great but when you load out a BoB they add too much weight. I prefer a wood handle one for that reason mainly. A thinner, allow one piece hawk might give you a hybrid of strngther and light weight but if the haft ever did break you're screwed. With a wood handle hawk you can always improvise a new haft for it.

We got to where we could throw one overhand and on underhand and stick them both in a tree at about 20 feet. We used to throw alot, after seeing this thread I will be making a stop by Home Depot on the way home to pick up another one. They do have a little bit of weight but with the abuse they can with stand it is almost worth it, these thing are as tough as nails! Maybe not great for a BOB but if it came done to it in a SHTF sitituation this is what I would have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom