time limit to sue about injuries after a car accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota port

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
178   0
Reaction score
what would you think if you got a letter saying someone was suing you/your insurance company 1 year after a car accident that was the other parties fault?

isnt there a time limit that any suit involving the accident/ after effects expires?

Last edited:
what would you think if you got a letter saying someone was suing you/your insurance company 1 year after a car accident that was the other parties fault?

isnt there a time limit that any suit involving the accident/ after effects expires?

I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds to me like they are fishing. Probably works on some people, but not on anyone with much perspective.

Over the course of a year, a whole lot of things could have happened which could be blamed for those injuries. I would turn it over to my insurance company. (Seems like a scam or complete shakedown attempt to me. Insurance companies see this kind of B.S. every day. Probably just some scumbag ambulance chaser sending out a form letter in hopes of finding a pushover.)

It is not uncommon for injuries to show up a week or two later, but 1 year? Give me a break!

-They also could be hoping you write or say something they could use against you. Be very careful what you communicate. Don't take blame for anything.... Not verbally or in writing.

Last edited:
Did the other party get a citation for fault of accident?

Seems that would be the main topic during the lawsuit. But considering 2 years have passed anything could have happened to them to cause any pain that they could contest was your fault.

Did the other party get a citation for fault of accident?

Seems that would be the main topic during the lawsuit. But considering 2 years have passed anything could have happened to them to cause any pain that they could contest was your fault.

The first rule of auto accidents is that citations mean nothing.

The judge/jury actually determine who is at fault. Cops screw up their citations all the time. This is why you never admit fault for anything after an accident.... Saying the wrong thing can be tantamount to accepting full responsibility.

Be careful, insurance companies are snakes. Even your own company will throw you under the bus if they can.

How does the police report describe the accident? Your insurance co. should "step into your shoes" and handle this frivolous suit. If you think at any time that your insurance co. is not working in your best interest call the Insurance Comm. office and register a complaint. Insurance co's. do not like Ins. Comm. complaints. The Ins. Comm. rates these companies on the number of complaints received per year, and applies fines where needed. Good luck.

Speak not one word to those people or their lawyer, turn all paper work in to your Ins. agent, let them handle it and you'll probably never hear anything else from them. Been there and done that !

what would I say? There are some serious details missing from your post or is really wasnt the other party's fault entirely. 2 year statute of limitations

If there is not clear liability or at the very least joint liability, then we dont touch them.

what would I say? There are some serious details missing from your post or is really wasnt the other party's fault entirely. 2 year statute of limitations

If there is not clear liability or at the very least joint liability, then we dont touch them.

as this is still open hypothetically i cannot give exact specifications to this hypothetical situation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom