Thoughts On Trading vs Selling???

napp

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
Many ads in the classified section will specify "sale only...no trades". I can understand that pretty easily. OTOH, I don't really understand the rationale behind the ads that are listed as "trade only".

It seems to me that a listing of "trade only" limits a person's chances of finding what he wants. I would think that a person willing to trade away an item should also be willing to sell it; and use the cash from the sale to buy whatever he is seeking.

Why are some people so adamant about not wanting to sell? Perhaps, I'm not seeing the whole story. What am I missing here?

I list trade only all the time. Many times I get more in trade than I would cash. I've been traded items that I never would have had the money to buy if I had just sold my item. Plus if I get cash in my hand, the odds are I'll spend it on other things. Or if the girlfriend gets wind there is cash involved.... She will be quick to point out other things I should buy.

I list trade only all the time. Many times I get more in trade than I would cash. I've been traded items that I never would have had the money to buy if I had just sold my item. Plus if I get cash in my hand, the odds are I'll spend it on other things. Or if the girlfriend gets wind there is cash involved.... She will be quick to point out other things I should buy.

This x100

Winner!

Trust me, I've had cash sales backfire before! Sold a gun for cash to buy a gun , was going to have to put cash with it. After I sold the gun I get a pm from someone who has one and will trade gun for gun. Damn it! Could have saved some coin. Or I sold a gun , the girlfriend found out... Then I end up with more electronics, jewelry, or more home improvement projects. :lol:. Trade is better :)

Generally if I am after something then I am ambivalent about whether mine trades for what I want or sells for enough cash to buy what I want. I once sold a gun and my wife made a comment about how WE should spend the cash. I put an end to THAT crap right then and there. I have never heard that again. I have no problem having cash in hand but often find that trading is simpler because people, myself included, will trade something that may bring more cash due to the "I want" factor. To me, it's more fun to get a new toy that I have been wanting than to get cash and have to go shopping again to get to that toy.

....... Or if the girlfriend gets wind there is cash involved.... She will be quick to point out other things I should buy.

I understand that. I can distinctly remember instances when some of my man toys were converted to household items in the blink of an eye. Of course, now that I am a widower, that possibility is no longer a consideration.

Part of my problem with understanding trades is that I tend to hold on to things once they are mine. I don't mind adding to "stuff"; but it hurts me to get rid of things in exchange for other things. I just find it much easier to turn loose of cash than something that is already in my gun safe.

Sometimes, I will see a trade item listed in the classifieds; and ask myself if I have anything I would be willing to give up for that item. The answer is usually, "no, but I wouldn't mind having it if it were for sale".

I understand that. I can distinctly remember instances when some of my man toys were converted to household items in the blink of an eye. Of course, now that I am a widower, that possibility is no longer a consideration.

Part of my problem with understanding trades is that I tend to hold on to things once they are mine. I don't mind adding to "stuff"; but it hurts me to get rid of things in exchange for other things. I just find it much easier to turn loose of cash than something that is already in my gun safe.

Sometimes, I will see a trade item listed in the classifieds; and ask myself if I have anything I would be willing to give up for that item. The answer is usually, "no, but I wouldn't mind having it if it were for sale".

Sorry about your loss :(.

I cant hold on to hardly anything. I change my mind so much.

Back
Top Bottom