Thoughts on the Dillion 550

How difficult/time consuming is it to change calibers? I've read that they are easier to change on the 550 than they are on the 650.

If you have a quick change kit for each caliber then it only takes 3-10 mins(2 pins to remove the head and change the primer bar if primer sizes change and the shell plate holder). I have them for each of my cartridges and after the first initial setup (takes @20-30 min each) all i do is verfiy the powder charges are still correct and load primer tubes.

I load all my non precision rifle ammo on it, Ar 15-Ar 10 and all pistol ammo.

d-a

I tried to load for my AR on it but I just could not get the powder regulated correctly. I don't know what I was doing wrong but it was just inconsistent. It had to be me but I sold the .223 caliber conversion kit and went back to the Lee single press for them.

I have owned a 550B for almost twenty years and reload all my guns with it including .223 AR and I love it.Like everything else including guns,cleaning after every use and you'll have no problems.

I really like my 550B which is my set-up for 38 special.

For my speed and pace with this press one to two hours week gives me the 400 to 800 rounds of lead I need a week to keep me happy.

Others mileage and rounds per hour will vary.

I tried to load for my AR on it but I just could not get the powder regulated correctly. I don't know what I was doing wrong but it was just inconsistent. It had to be me but I sold the .223 caliber conversion kit and went back to the Lee single press for them.

More than likely you needed to change to a different powder... More of a ball/flake shaped powder... Varget sucks to meter....

Back
Top Bottom