• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on a 2002 Nissan Maxima GXE V6 w 230,000 mi?

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
506   0
Reaction score
My son is looking at a 2002 Nissan Maxima. I haven't seen it yet but really don't know anything about Nissans. (I'm a GM truck guy). Are these things good for 3000,000 miles or is 230k already pushing it? Son is 17 and just runs to school and around town. He currently drives my GMC Yukon XL but gas is eating.him up and evidently it ain't cool enough for him.

Pros or Cons on a 2002 Nissan Maxima?

Any unfamiliar car with those miles…you could be 1 mile away from throwing money into a hole. I’d stick with the Yukon, gas for those short trips could be easier on the wallet.

I don't know about that one. I would avoid V6's in general and stick with a 4 cylinder, better on gas and less spark plugs to change. (Toyota or Honda, avoid the Toyota 4 cylinder oil burners)

Things always good to check/change as soon as you purchase.

Power steering fluid
Brake Fluid
Transmission Fluid and filter (maybe.....if its never been changed or no records on this often people won't)
Oil and Filter
Struts (are usually 100% gone)
Brakes
Serpentine belt
Spark Plugs
Antifreeze coolant flush/refill
Upper/Lower radiator hoses (I hate when a 25 dollar hose leaves you broke down)
Alignment
Tie Rod ends (always seem to be shot on used cars that I get with 200k+)
Balls joints (at least check)
Tires (most of the time used cars with high miles have the cheapest crap tires that are bald in my experience)
Battery age (a good battery these days is 200 bucks and stinks to buy one right off the bat)
Test output of alternator to make sure its putting out 14+ volts
check for front/rear engine oil leaks
Check AC output with a thermometer while we still have some hot weather

If people would just do basic things, but around here people just will not do the basics on a car.

Buying a used car unless they have records can be a crap shoot, you buy a cheap car for 2-3k, thinking hey I need a cheap car, then you can easily dump 2-4k into it before you know it. Then its like should I have I spent 6-8k to start with to get something, but right now its hard to find anything affordable.

My son is looking at a 2002 Nissan Maxima. I haven't seen it yet but really don't know anything about Nissans. (I'm a GM truck guy). Are these things good for 3000,000 miles or is 230k already pushing it? Son is 17 and just runs to school and around town. He currently drives my GMC Yukon XL but gas is eating.him up and evidently it ain't cool enough for him.

How much $$?

if the maintenance records are accurate and depending on the timing chain it could be a good buy. i mean, for that price if it last a year it’s a deal. I think the later Nissans (2004-2011 or so) have tranny issues.

Stay away

Back
Top Bottom