• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thoughts on a 2002 Nissan Maxima GXE V6 w 230,000 mi?

I don't know about the Maxima. I bought a Nissan truck years ago in the mid 90s, decent vehicle. But I also had the opportunity to buy a Toyota at the same time. Had I bought the Toyota, I'd still be driving it.
In today's truck market the Nissan Frontier is most likely the most affordable way to go. And there is nothing wrong with that especially if you keep it basic as in 4 cyl/5 speed. I have two friends with late model Frontiers. No problems so far. In fact when Ford discontinued the old Ranger OReilly Auto started buying Frontiers since ,again it was the cheapest way to go. Now if you are that guy that's gonna drive it for a quarter million miles and get your money's worth out of it then that's not a bad way to go.
On the other hand...my boss just bought a new Tundra and the sales manager told him to drive it 2 years, bring it back and they would give him what he paid foe it. That says a lot about not only Toyota but the late model used truck market. Toyota is ALWAYS the safe bet. Gotta pay more going in but it pays in the end. I LOVE F150s but if the magic genie told me I could have 1 new truck to last the rest of my life I already knkw the answer.

I drove 2 2002 Altima’s. Decent cars but both ended up having exhaust/frame rot. Granted this was in Pa and otherwise the cars were fine, but I think I got ~2k trade in back in 2012

I had one with the 6 cyl engine, would still have it if the fool that ran into me didnt total it out. Was pushing 265k and rand like a scalded dog. Didn't burn any oil, tranny was tight and it cranked every time.

We did. Still rocking the 300,000 plus GMC.
Okay changing the subject here, sorry. Since you're a GM guy I figured I would mention it. Around March we bought an 02 Trailblazer from a good friend of mine for a thousand. He bought it from the widow of a drinking buddy and former Mercer University proffessor named Phil. Phil THOUGHT he was also a pool man. So the Trailblazer STILL has a faint smell of chlorine and permenant stains in the rear . Anyway, this one is a 2wd inline 6 automatic. Aside from the accessories like 12 volt outlets that don't work due to chlorine exposure/oxidation it's a nice riding comfortable vehicle. I never payed attention to the Trailblazer/Envoy models in the past since, again I aint a GM guy. But when I drive this ugly dented bronze/brown sled around town I notice how many of them I see . No idea what year they ended the Trailblazer line but damn there's still a lot of them on the road. In fact this thing reminds me a lot of another GM model I got a lot of miles out of. It's almost the same color inside and out as my old 03 Impala. That was a comfortable driving car. Kinda ghetto looking but you get beyond it.

Okay changing the subject here, sorry. Since you're a GM guy I figured I would mention it. Around March we bought an 02 Trailblazer from a good friend of mine for a thousand. He bought it from the widow of a drinking buddy and former Mercer University proffessor named Phil. Phil THOUGHT he was also a pool man. So the Trailblazer STILL has a faint smell of chlorine and permenant stains in the rear . Anyway, this one is a 2wd inline 6 automatic. Aside from the accessories like 12 volt outlets that don't work due to chlorine exposure/oxidation it's a nice riding comfortable vehicle. I never payed attention to the Trailblazer/Envoy models in the past since, again I aint a GM guy. But when I drive this ugly dented bronze/brown sled around town I notice how many of them I see . No idea what year they ended the Trailblazer line but damn there's still a lot of them on the road. In fact this thing reminds me a lot of another GM model I got a lot of miles out of. It's almost the same color inside and out as my old 03 Impala. That was a comfortable driving car. Kinda ghetto looking but you get beyond it.

I wish I could find a solid 6 cyl Trailblazer around here. The Messican Mafia has done dogged all of them out bad in N. Ga.

In today's truck market the Nissan Frontier is most likely the most affordable way to go. And there is nothing wrong with that especially if you keep it basic as in 4 cyl/5 speed. I have two friends with late model Frontiers. No problems so far. In fact when Ford discontinued the old Ranger OReilly Auto started buying Frontiers since ,again it was the cheapest way to go. Now if you are that guy that's gonna drive it for a quarter million miles and get your money's worth out of it then that's not a bad way to go.
On the other hand...my boss just bought a new Tundra and the sales manager told him to drive it 2 years, bring it back and they would give him what he paid foe it. That says a lot about not only Toyota but the late model used truck market. Toyota is ALWAYS the safe bet. Gotta pay more going in but it pays in the end. I LOVE F150s but if the magic genie told me I could have 1 new truck to last the rest of my life I already knkw the answer.
My wife has a 2000 camry we bought new, it has 350k on it and still going strong. :-)

My wife has a 2000 camry we bought new, it has 350k on it and still going strong. :-)
My mom is on Camry number 6. Back in 2010 she gave us her 04 LE Camry. It had around 230K when we got it. It lasted until over 330K before it died. And that's probably my fault for not staying on top of maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom