• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

They are goin to drill a hole in the ocean floor to the center of the earth.

Volcanic eruptions happen in the ocean all the time. Umi don't see how this would be any different. That said, I don't really see what could possibly be learned by doing it

This is kind of a stupid commentary though

"Damon Teagle, a geologist at the University of Southampton in the UK, tells CNN it would be a massive undertaking: “It will be the equivalent of dangling a steel string the width of a human hair in the deep end of a swimming pool and inserting it into a thimble 1/10 mm wide,” he said."

Apparently these brilliant geologists don't get that what they are drilling through is a solid that puts lateral pressure on the drill, adds strength and keeps it straight vs
a hair floating in a swimming pool.

As for what they'll learn this part should be obvious .... everything that they say they know today is really only theoretical so actually being able to drill to to the mantle and obtain some of the material along the way you have a chance to actually know what's there rather than just guessing. We want to explore outer space but what we really know about just this rock that we live on is really very little.

Apparently they have not really thought this through. It has been clearly demonstrated time after time in bugs bunny cartoons that digging too deep will take you to China.

As for what they'll learn this part should be obvious .... everything that they say they know today is really only theoretical so actually being able to drill to to the mantle and obtain some of the material along the way you have a chance to actually know what's there rather than just guessing. We want to explore outer space but what we really know about just this rock that we live on is really very little.

I wouldn't call that obvious. The sample will be so relatively small that it'll just help to substantiate their guess. Saying they'll "actually know" is a stretch. What will that help? Will it get me my hover-car finally? I'm guessing not.

Back
Top Bottom