The worst thing thats happend to you while working on a hot rod or car at home!

Pulling the head off of a straight six in a older Ford F-150 slipped and the hood latch caught under my ribs and I hung there until someone lifted me off it. Broke 2 ribs

Not while working on it (that came directly after) but while driving had a fuel hose burst on a fuel injected car..... not fun to have a roaring fire a foot and a half away in traffic. pulled the engine and trans and put an LT1 and 4l60 in it.

Cleaning up under the hood and put a dress sock over the carb to keep junk out. After getting the motor all cleaned, I cranked it up to check for skipping and the first thing I heard was "zoop", the sound of my sock getting sucked in the carb. Had to do a fast head removal to get the sock out that had wrapped around an intake valve.

Had an old Chevy van, needed to pull the trans to take to a friend to rebuild. Was going to roll it up on ramps in the front and use jack stands in the back. It was to heavy to push onto the ramps so I got my old Dodge Dart behind it and tried to push it up the ramps. It went over the ramps and started down the hill, flattened the gate and hit the mailbox. That caused it to veer left toward a then vacant wooded lot where it went between 2 huge pine trees and the heavy brush stopped it. Got my bil to come over with his 4x4 and pull it out, called a tow truck to come take to my friend. He laughed and laughed about it, Wish I'd had a camera back in the early 80s! only damage was to the bumper where it hit the mailbox post.

1970 Chevrolet C-10 gave me all kinds of problems.

Pulled the original 307 out and had a 350 that I had laying around rebuilt. When I got it back from the machine shop I deburred all the edges, smoothed to block, taped everything up and painted it. When I got home from work the following day my 2 year old at the time had pulled off all the tape and stuffed it in the water jacket holes along with a couple of drill bits. The motor had to be taken complete back down and rebuilt again.

After all this was complete I installed the motor in the truck before anything else could happen to it. Everything on the motor was new except for the oil pan. After about a week of driving the newly installed motor the tack weld on the dust cover in the bottom of the oil pan broke loose and the rod cap hit and busted it in hundreds of pieces.

Anyone know what happens when metal is being slapped around on the bottom end of a motor?

Replaced motor again and sold the truck.

I was working on an old Suzuki samari, installing a transmission on my back when my support strap broke. My arm was between the belhousing and it pinned my arm between the housing and the trans at a bad angle. I was home alone and had to lay there for about an hour or so until my room mate got home. All I suffered was a broken finger but man it sucked!

Some of you guys should not be working on vehicles! :lol:

Worst thing I can remember is after test driving one of my old Scouts after wrenching on it one day I parked it outside my basement (flat and on gravel like a hundred times before) and my wife and I ran out for a quick dinner. I came home looked down from the kitchen and my Scout was gone!

I panicked and ran downstairs thinking someone stole her (even though I did not leave the keys in it) only to find her near the edge of my property up against my trailer. She had somehow rolled, narrowly missed my F250, thankfully veered a little right, hitting my trailer which prevented it from catapulting down hill directly towards my neighbors house and vehicles! It was in neutral and I can only assume I forgot to set the parking brake or bumped it off exiting the vehicle. :embarassed:

No damage to the Scout due to a massive front bumper I fabricated but it dented the hell out of my trailer fender.

I had a car catch fire while working on it once. Power steering fluid leak right on top of converter below the fire wall. Grabbed the fire extinguisher, pulled the pin, squeeze handle and NOTHING !! Talking about a cluster puck.!! I started dancing around grabbing anything I could....towel....water in a cup...nothing would help much !! Just about that time my brother come strolling into the garage with a full quart of Gatorade from the fridge, success!!
That type of stuff will get your adrenaline up!

Did something similar.

I was using break cleaner under the hood on SBC 350. Started the car before the cleaner had dried and the distributor lit it all on fire.

Car was parked on the street at the time so I wasn't anywhere close to a hose. Looked around and saw that my neighbors garage was opened. Ran into his garage opened his fridge an found a jug of grape juice.

Back
Top Bottom