• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
Hate to break it to you, but BT is about as basic, plain jane bourbon as it gets. The ER is also a BT product, and you'll find it's even more complex than the Buffalo Trace. The Weller has wheat in the recipe, so it will have an altogether different flavor profile than the other two. Weller is also a BT product. You may find the wheated bourbon more to your liking. Try the Buffalo Trace again with a tiny splash of water or one ice cube. Bourbon/whiskey is truly an acquired taste. Good luck.
Yeah , I've been reading and watching videos on different Bourbons for probably a month now . I tried the BT with water , ice and in an old fashioned and it just sucked all the way around . They say it's good for beginners is the only reason I got it . I definitely don't see the hype behind it . I'll sell this unopened bottle off . All 3 of these I can find fairly easy . Not at MSRP anymore obviously but the prices aren't STUPID . Within 10 bucks or so of SRP

Yeah , I've been reading and watching videos on different Bourbons for probably a month now . I tried the BT with water , ice and in an old fashioned and it just sucked all the way around . They say it's good for beginners is the only reason I got it . I definitely don't see the hype behind it . I'll sell this unopened bottle off . All 3 of these I can find fairly easy . Not at MSRP anymore obviously but the prices aren't STUPID . Within 10 bucks or so of SRP
It definitely is an acquired taste. 10 years ago all I drank was vodka and hated brown liquors. Now, all I drink is brown liquors and maybe a vodka drink 2 - 3 x a year...go figure.

Buffalo Trace is hyped because of the other whiskeys the distillery puts out, I swear that stuff was like 20 with Bulliet, four roses, knob creek, 1792 and that kind of first tier of "small batch" bourbon back when I started drinking. I got no problems with it I would usually just pick up whatever bottle in that price range was on sale at the time but it's not something to hunt for or pay what liquor stores ($35+) are asking because of "scarcity". Some people claim to be able to detect notes from better whiskeys made by Buffalo Trace in it, and maybe they can but as someone who grew up in wine country it reeks to me of wine bull**** moving into the whiskey space. I detect a faint hint of under ripe Guatemalan lychee and sun dried willow fronds from I want to say Corsica but it could be Sardinia, oh yes definitely Sardinia.

Its not something I'd recommend drinking neat especially to new drinkers and I'd be more likely to take a shot of it than sip it. Your old fashioned is probably gonna need a little help from some specialty bitters to elevate it and a bit more sugar than a better whiskey but I find you can make a drinkable old fashioned with just about anything. I'd be more likely to use Buffalo Trace in a Manhattan (make sure you buy a decent vermouth aka not martini and rossi), a Paper Plane, whiskey sour or Vieux Carre. I do always like to see what good cocktail bars do with this entry level of small batch whiskey since outside of a speciality old fashioned most base spirits are in this kind of quality range.

it reeks to me of wine bull**** moving into the whiskey space. I detect a faint hint of under ripe Guatemalan lychee and sun dried willow fronds from I want to say Corsica but it could be Sardinia, oh yes definitely Sardinia.
Already here. Read some of the ridiculous SMWS descriptions on their bottles -

"A fine bouquet of fragrant flowers and scorched watermelon mingled with molten wax before it dripped onto tarry ropes. There were also iodine elements of seaweed scattered on a shellfish platter. The palate had fine finesse - juicy with charred pineapple, but devilishly moreish as butter melted over toasted coconut and just a nuance of eucalyptus converged with powdery coal tar. What could a dash of water do? Now wonderfully clean smoke engulfed the maritime familiarity of walks along the beach. Flowers were dotted about the sand dunes and herbal notes morphed into sweet phenols and antiseptic cream on peach skin."

Buffalo Trace is cheap in Arizona.

Screenshot_20230624-141422_Gallery.jpg

Buffalo Trace is hyped because of the other whiskeys the distillery puts out, I swear that stuff was like 20 with Bulliet, four roses, knob creek, 1792 and that kind of first tier of "small batch" bourbon back when I started drinking. I got no problems with it I would usually just pick up whatever bottle in that price range was on sale at the time but it's not something to hunt for or pay what liquor stores ($35+) are asking because of "scarcity". Some people claim to be able to detect notes from better whiskeys made by Buffalo Trace in it, and maybe they can but as someone who grew up in wine country it reeks to me of wine bull**** moving into the whiskey space. I detect a faint hint of under ripe Guatemalan lychee and sun dried willow fronds from I want to say Corsica but it could be Sardinia, oh yes definitely Sardinia.

Its not something I'd recommend drinking neat especially to new drinkers and I'd be more likely to take a shot of it than sip it. Your old fashioned is probably gonna need a little help from some specialty bitters to elevate it and a bit more sugar than a better whiskey but I find you can make a drinkable old fashioned with just about anything. I'd be more likely to use Buffalo Trace in a Manhattan (make sure you buy a decent vermouth aka not martini and rossi), a Paper Plane, whiskey sour or Vieux Carre. I do always like to see what good cocktail bars do with this entry level of small batch whiskey since outside of a speciality old fashioned most base spirits are in this kind of quality range.
I detect a faint hint of under ripe Guatemalan lychee and sun dried willow fronds from I want to say Corsica but it could be Sardinia, oh yes definitely Sardinia.

🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom