• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

The great bean debate: Chili recipes

fast306stang

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
378   0
Reaction score
Yes it's finally chili season! I had great northern beans but my wife said it HAD to be dark red kidney beans...whatever...

Here's my recipe. I didn't use the red peppers, I used green bells instead. I also did not use the diced chilies...my wife likes a very mild chili.

So I made it like the recipe says and I mixed the diced green chilies in my bowl with a few shakes of cayenne pepper...definitely brought the heat and the flavor is excellent....I didn't use a crockpot, I just kept simmering it in my stock pot until it was the consistency I wanted.

I'm sure there's chili fanatics here...what's your recipe?

Screenshot_20181105-185354.png
Screenshot_20181105-185406.png
Screenshot_20181105-185411.png

Guy I worked with in IL made great chili, he browned the meat and onions, then added all his dry ingredients, cumin, chili powder, ground chile, and seared it into the meat. Really infused the "heat" into the meat, almost to the point of burning in the pan, then added a can/bottle of beer to deglaze the pan and meat, then all his other wet ingredients, except beans. Save the beans till the end to keep them from getting mushy.

My personal "bean blend" is a can each of reds, pintos, light kidneys and dark kidneys; 4 cans total.

A good way to make decent chili fast is to use Tabasco brand chili mix that comes in pint glass jars from the grocery. Even though it is Tabasco brand it isn't overly hot, about like Wendy's with a couple packets of hot added. Brown meat and onions, add Tabasco....a pint jar to a pound of meat...rinse jar with half jar of water, add beans, when it is heated completely its ready to eat. Takes about half an hour.

Don't be afraid of using the Tabasco Spicy type, its not too hot at all. The regular is just bland.....Girl Scout Chili. We buy it by the case from Tabasco since it is sometimes hard to find in the grocery.

Back
Top Bottom