• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The FatFriend Thread

Looking good, man. Will there be an extended handle version for us ham fisted m*********ers? Have you considered making the blade a bit longer for improved stabbiness?

All the best changes will come with reinvesting in the shop. I'm limited right now to about a 10" or so overall length because my kiln is so small. Even with 10" I have to put it in diagonal. I've considered building a proper propane forge, but I like the idea of a programable kiln for accuracy and consistency. The blade I made you was heat treated in the forge I made before and I would have been in trouble if it had been 1/4" longer.

You gotta have some beefy freakin paws for this handle to be too small. I redesigned the handle a couple months ago to be larger/longer and more ergonomic. I need to bring the wife in for dinner and show you my newest style. I think you'll like it.

I seriously dig the blade grind, looks like a serious tool - what is the thickness of the blade?
This one is 3/16" but I think in the future this knife will come with a 1/4" grind. I'll have to work out pricing for it with the thicker steel though. I'd also like to develop a nice standard kydex sheath for it since it's a "combat" knife. Using kydex might also let me bring the price back down a tad since it's less expensive and labor intensive than leather.

Time will tell. I've still got several more of the original FatFriend to make before I can focus on development. I still need to decide on an official name for the original one.

This one is 3/16" but I think in the future this knife will come with a 1/4" grind. I'll have to work out pricing for it with the thicker steel though. I'd also like to develop a nice standard kydex sheath for it since it's a "combat" knife. Using kydex might also let me bring the price back down a tad since it's less expensive and labor intensive than leather.

Time will tell. I've still got several more of the original FatFriend to make before I can focus on development. I still need to decide on an official name for the original one.
That style of knife would be awesome in 1/4" grind, a true combat style knife! Will be waiting to see what the pricing looks like - I'm already on the list so we'll see where you're at by the time my numbers up!

That style of knife would be awesome in 1/4" grind, a true combat style knife! Will be waiting to see what the pricing looks like - I'm already on the list so we'll see where you're at by the time my numbers up!
If that's something you're looking for, we can definitely work something out. Just remind me.

All the best changes will come with reinvesting in the shop. I'm limited right now to about a 10" or so overall length because my kiln is so small. Even with 10" I have to put it in diagonal. I've considered building a proper propane forge, but I like the idea of a programable kiln for accuracy and consistency. The blade I made you was heat treated in the forge I made before and I would have been in trouble if it had been 1/4" longer.

You gotta have some beefy freakin paws for this handle to be too small. I redesigned the handle a couple months ago to be larger/longer and more ergonomic. I need to bring the wife in for dinner and show you my newest style. I think you'll like it.
Cool, man. Hope to see you soon.

Game on!
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom