• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Day Pontiac Died

Ford took a 6 billion dollar loan from the Govt instead of filing bankruptcy and packaged it up in marketing speak to make it look like they needed no help from the Govt to stay afloat.

Ford paid the money back, and would have made it without the loan. It was cheap capital and it fit the strategy they were pursuing.

Alan Mulally, the CEO Ford hired in 2006 to turn the company around, read the tea leaves correctly: He sold off brands they didn't need (Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo), and mortgaged every major asset Ford had, including the Blue Oval logo, to amass enough cash to withstand a downturn and pay for an operational restructuring to make the company leaner and more profitable.

The coming financial collapse claimed several major auto brands. But not Ford.

Credit to Ford for smart management. They hired the right guy, and he executed a strategy that worked. Ford weathered the storm. They emerged out of the financial crisis a stronger company. It's really the stuff of business school case studies.

GM? Not so much.

Don't tell your Mom how fast this thing will run in 2nd gear [3 on the tree]
1708721004371.png

When I was at the Brunswick Port the little Buick crossover I believe it was the Encore would be rolling off a ship way in the back and it was a strange sight . But when I got close enough to read the window sticker I realized why. They're 100% Chinese built. I don't know if the average Buick buyer pays attention to such information but I damn sure would and would not own such a vehicle. Hell worse than that is Volvo ( before going all hybrid) The big Volvo sedans as of 2018 were not made in Sweden anymore. If you wanted a real Swedish Volvo you had to buy one of the cheaper SUV models. I just don't see how hardcore Volvo owners ( kinda like Subaru owners) would put up with that.
Killing Pontiac at the start of the Obama regime made no sense to me. They were finally getting to sorta go their own way and bring some cool models to the market. Why kill Pontiac and leave GMC the rebadged redundant brand?! There must have been way more margin in GMC and Buick.
Hell I don't see how Chrysler still exists. For the last ten or so years they only had the 300 and the Pacifica van. And I believe the 300 was killed off when Dodge killed off the gas burning Chargers.

When I was at the Brunswick Port the little Buick crossover I believe it was the Encore would be rolling off a ship way in the back and it was a strange sight . But when I got close enough to read the window sticker I realized why. They're 100% Chinese built. I don't know if the average Buick buyer pays attention to such information but I damn sure would and would not own such a vehicle. Hell worse than that is Volvo ( before going all hybrid) The big Volvo sedans as of 2018 were not made in Sweden anymore. If you wanted a real Swedish Volvo you had to buy one of the cheaper SUV models. I just don't see how hardcore Volvo owners ( kinda like Subaru owners) would put up with that.
Killing Pontiac at the start of the Obama regime made no sense to me. They were finally getting to sorta go their own way and bring some cool models to the market. Why kill Pontiac and leave GMC the rebadged redundant brand?! There must have been way more margin in GMC and Buick.
Hell I don't see how Chrysler still exists. For the last ten or so years they only had the 300 and the Pacifica van. And I believe the 300 was killed off when Dodge killed off the gas burning Chargers.
Wait… no Chargers?
What will the folk from da ‘hood drive now?

Back
Top Bottom