Tell me it is a rat snake (but be honest if it is not)

Jeddak

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
142   0
Reaction score
Saw it past weekend in our pole barn. There are mice in there, so I thought it might after mice, which I have no problems with, but it is close to where my ducks, dogs and kids hang out too, so I want to be triple-sure.
It was black, with white belly and a few scattered white scales in the black sides.
It was as long as my riding lawn mower. Did not seem to be afraid of humans at all.

PS my duck motel is 50 feet away, but it will be moved tonight 150' away to a different pasture, so eggs should be safe.

IMG_20150509_165612.jpg
IMG_20150509_165629.jpg

Not poisonous but beneficial in controlling rodents. I don't kill snakes anymore unless there is a need to do so. I prefer to relocate them away from the home and areas where family and pets may be.

Last edited:
No, it's a good one to have around. I had two in my well house Saturday. They quietly curled up next to the pressure tank while I replaced a valve and gauge. I didn't like being so close but they didn't want to move. I figured they were probably making baby snakes and let them be.

No, it's a good one to have around. I had two in my well house Saturday. They quietly curled up next to the pressure tank while I replaced a valve and gauge. I didn't like being so close but they didn't want to move. I figured they were probably making baby snakes and let them be.
I was hoping that's what it was. I heard having them around might keep the poisonous kind away, and there is enough room on tn the property for them, but I was afraid for the kids and dogs. Pups are only 7 months old and will chase anything that moves, and my youngest kid is 3 years old, and will grab/pick up anything, he is not afraid of anything.

Thank you everybody, OTD rocks, as usual.
And thank you for posting pics of snakes earlier. I spent 20 years in Alaska and prior to that in Siberia, so I never had to deal with snakes before.
At least I recognized it and did not panic.

Not venemous

Usuly the shape if the head will give you an idea

Rounded ir smaller heads are usually harmless rat eaters

If its diamoned shaped or fat on the side if the head, then its got fangs and venom to match

Not all of them are likebthat though ( corn snake). But if you arent good at identifying snakes, just stay away from it :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom