• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus 709 SLIM

nocman_2

Default rank <1250 posts
NRA Patriot Life Member (Benefactor)
11   0
Reaction score
I've had mine for about 6 months now. I bought it used and have never looked back. It is a great CC weapon that fit's in my Kholster like a glove. I'm a little thick in the middle, ok I'm overweight and I can barely notice it sometimes. It's only an inch thick and holds 7 rounds. It has taken me a little time to master since it has such a short barrel, but at 10 - 14 feet I can shoot 3 inch patterns. You also have to get use to tucking your pinky finger under the mag as it is a pretty short grip (as most compacts do).

My father has one i really like the new trigger system "double strike" i was very excited about getting to shot it as i was always very accurate with my pt145. get it to the range and my dad was laying it down, once again Taurus puts out a very accurate product. i pick it up and fire a shot..... "(me)where did that hit"... "(dad)i wasn't paying attention"... so i shot again......"(me) do you see it", "(dad) no" "(me) crap"....... those hiene 8 sight's don't suit me very well, now i know that lol. but very nice weapon, very small.

I've had one of these for about a year. It was a Christmas present. I generally prefer full size guns as I can shoot them much better. But sometimes circumstances dictate a smaller weapon. The 709's small size makes it perfect as a pocket gun, a bug, or an easily concealed traditional iwb.

After running a few hundred rounds through the gun, I found it accurate and reliable, but not much fun to shoot. This thing is harder for me to get follow up shots on target than my .45. It's very snappy, and it's size makes it hard for someone like me, with big hands, to hang on to it. But after a short while, I could hit what I was aiming at pretty well.

On my third trip to the range, I tried shooting some old spanish civil war ammo through this gun. It all went bang, but there were a few extraction issues. Apparently, one of these broke the extractor. After that, I was getting ftes all over the lace with modern factory ammo. I called Taurus, and they suggested a problem with the extractor. They sent a new, improved extractor in the mail, free of charge. After installation of the new extractor, there have been no more issues.

I don't carry this pistol often, and it's not a fun range gun, but it serves a very useful purpose in my cc arsenal. Overall, it's a great value.

Az

Regarding the Heinie sights -- it took me a while to learn that you put the top sight on top of your target (meaning the top sight covers the point you want to hit), not under it. It's a point-and-shoot type of sight. Hard to get used to, but once you learn that it's accurate.

Last edited:
I have two. bought them for my wife and daughter. Daughter moved to korea and the wife still prefers her .38. Sooooo I played with them and really like them. Have only fired @ 100 rounds through both (fmj) and experienced 0 issues. I don't have big hands but they are thick and i find 0 problems with grip, or reattaining target after firing. It is no Colt officer's 45acp but you cant stick the colt in a back pocket and be comfortable. I like them.

I haven't tried the PF-9 Kel-Tec mag extensions but I did add a Pearce finger extension floor plate to mine. It now has better control.

I've had two and both came with 3-dot sights. I agree, Heinie sights are not for me either.

Back
Top Bottom