• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus 44 Special Snub Revolver

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Here is Range Review 3 from todays session.

Taurus 44 Special, Snub nose, bobbed hammer, 5 Shot, used: The load here is 240g LSWC and a moderate+ charge of Power Pistol with hard CCI primers. Just as accurate as the two autos above and not near as much recoil as the Charter Bull Dog I used to have. Not a pleasure to shoot in long sessions, 50 rounds is plenty but with the rubber grips its controlable. Cylinder movement is a bit stiff so I think polishing the guts is in order but a bit of lube on this used revolver may be all it needs. I was able to stack the trigger for let off - its stiff enough the pull is a bit harder in the first half than in the last half. Not quite what I expected. I suspect this one could also benefit from a reduced power trigger return spring. I did find out, reloads in this and the Charter Bull Dog better be heavily crimped to keep from tieing up the cylinder on shot 4 or 5. Opinion: Just what I've always expected from Taurus, solid, reliable, reasonably accurate and a good value for the money. I'll continue to buy them.

Happy Independence Day. Stay Sober and pray for our Troops.

Update. Settled down in NC now and while still looking for a suitable family oriented range/club I took a few minutes tonight to put a set of Wolf reduced power springs in this one. No polishing of the guts yet but I installed the 10lb trigger return spring and the 11lb main spring. I didn't have to clip any coils as there is no binding in the mechanism. Impressions, much smoother overall on this DAO pull and the cylinder dosn't seem to have that bind or drag mentioned above. The scale indicates just under 9 lbs pull when the hammer breaks over and falls. Thats a big improvement as with the factory springs the pull was off the scale, I'd estimate 12 lbs or even more. I guess the next step is back to the range with hard primered ammo and reloads to assure good smooth function and a bang with every pull. But at least now, its not an exercise maching for doing finger curls.

Back
Top Bottom