• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tattoo Artist Recommendations Metro ATL

**** it. I say go for it. I love ink. My only philosophy is that they all need to be with in the t shirt line, IMO. Not all businesses or industries are ok with tatts. I've wanted a sleeve for a long time, but it will mean wearing a long sleeve shirt most of the time to work. Or at least always having one handy for me to wear. Not sure if I want to go down that road.

All of my tatts mean/meant something to me when I got them. Now I just want some really cool looking art.
I want a tattoo but for a reason, my wife is very ill and has been for a long time and the days are getting short.
I want a memory tattoo for her, I know exactly what I want but I'm no artist so I've got to find the right artist to interpret my design.
I'm no kid and spent years in the service where tattoos where common and never felt the urge or need.
I'm old and not in the best health so I'm not worried about what anyone thinks or how it's going to look in 10 years.
This is for me and me only and I'll wear it to my grave.
I just don't know how to find the right shop. This cannot be screwed up.

Mystic Owl tattoo in Marietta (the owner Vince) and the artist I use (Chris Valencia) are both very talented. I have my left arm completely sleeved shoulder to wrist with no open skin (took almost a year to complete going monthly) and some other random tattoos in other places so I have some experience with it. It took me about 4 months of looking around to locate the artist I wanted and another 4 months to get in with him AFTER the initial consultation to tell him my ideas and us discuss a plan.

Instagram is your friend. It lets you see the artists work so you can locate the right artist for what you want done. They all have things they are "best" at verses "good" at and a wide range of talent, experience and creativity.

I suggest just googling tattoo shops around you then spread out from there. The shops list the artist's names so you can just google the name. Most will have a decent amount of current work posted all over the internet. If they don't, move on. Look for healed work also. That's a good indicator of how good they really are.

In the end, it's up to you to do the research and locate the artist that has work similar to what you're looking for. It just depends on what your idea is. You might have to pay up front for more than one artist to draw the tattoo for you to see ahead of time to ensure you're getting exactly what you want. Most won't draw it, show it to you ahead of time, then re-draw it completely more than once if it's not what you want. They get paid for their time and that includes drawing your piece.

If you don't have much/any experience with the custom tattoo world it can be slightly off-putting at times as that world works a little different than other industries. Most of the time, the process moves a little slower than you'd like and you have to initiate a lot of the initial contact. They're artists, not customer service reps and the good ones rarely handle their own appointments.

Pricing is all over the place. Good artists have minimum hourly requirements and typically tell you the hourly rate up front. You can expect hourly any where from $100/hour (4 hour minimum) to over $250/hour with a (4 hour minimum) for good artists or perhaps just a flat price for the whole piece regardless of the time it takes. The size, detail, time and even location on your body can all play a part in the cost.

If you really love the piece and it looks great, the cost won't matter much to you. It's forever, so there's not a much better investment if it's an emotionally driven design. I'm happy to answer or assist with getting answers to any other questions you might have. Just shoot me a PM.

Just remember, cheap tattoos aren't good and good tattoos aren't cheap.

I want a tattoo but for a reason, my wife is very ill and has been for a long time and the days are getting short.
I want a memory tattoo for her, I know exactly what I want but I'm no artist so I've got to find the right artist to interpret my design.
I'm no kid and spent years in the service where tattoos where common and never felt the urge or need.
I'm old and not in the best health so I'm not worried about what anyone thinks or how it's going to look in 10 years.
This is for me and me only and I'll wear it to my grave.
I just don't know how to find the right shop. This cannot be screwed up.
You need the artist that is going to do the tattoo to draw it. You might be able to get someone to get you a drawing of it. But paper and skin are different. Just because it can be drawn doesn't mean that it can be made into a tattoo.

You need the artist that is going to do the tattoo to draw it. You might be able to get someone to get you a drawing of it. But paper and skin are different. Just because it can be drawn doesn't mean that it can be made into a tattoo.
It's in my head, it's not terribly fancy and I don't think it will be difficult at all but I want quality.

Back
Top Bottom