Surpressed .22 question

Which is best for backyard playing and dropping tree rats?

• Surpressed Rifle?

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • Surpressed Pistol?

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
You building or buying a suppressor? Either way I'd get it first, or do whatever it takes to get your ATF forms off first. You'll have plenty and I mean plenty of time to save/look for/buy/build a 22 while your forms are being processed. Waiting stinks. =(

I'm ordering mine in a couple of months but have already picked up my hosts. Savage bolt action (factory threaded), a Ruger MkIII with a pac-lite barrel and a Ruger Charger. If I could only pick one, I would probably go with the Charger. Kind of the best of both worlds. If that isn't an option then I would probably do the rifle first.

As soon as I get my 10/22 dressed out the way I want it, the proper steps are going to be taken to legally aquire a suppressor for it. Might have to get a handgun to use it on too, don't want to altar my buckmark.

You should be able to get a threaded barrel for your BM for under $100, and the swap takes about 5 minutes with basic tools.

Actually that would be the incorrect word for a silencer. Supressor would be the right word. It was a joke but I digress.
rifle gets my vote

It was late when I posted, didn't get the joke. Long day at work and I was beat.....I didn't even notice the spelling error.

You building or buying a suppressor? Either way I'd get it first, or do whatever it takes to get your ATF forms off first. You'll have plenty and I mean plenty of time to save/look for/buy/build a 22 while your forms are being processed. Waiting stinks. =(

What kind of forms do you have to fill out for the ATF? What kinds of questions do they ask on the forms?

What kind of forms do you have to fill out for the ATF? What kinds of questions do they ask on the forms?

It must be legal in your state to do so, most states allow NFA Georgia allows NFA so you're good

There are two ways you can purchase NFA items

#1 As an individual. If purchasing as an individual your Chief Law Enforcement Officer must be willing to sign off on your forms. Some will some won't
#2 Purchase through a trust, LLC, etc. Basically if your CLEO won't sign off this is your only option

Go to a class 3 dealer in your city/state. They will know if a CLEO will sign off or not. Some people (including me) prefer to purchase through a trust. The benefit being that the trust owns the item, and anyone that you name on the trust is allowed to use the NFA item. If purchased as an individual you must maintain sole possession of the NFA item and although someone else can use it, it must be used while in your possession.

Pay up front for the silencer, the dealer will fill out an ATF Form 4. You send two copies of the Form 4 along $200 per NFA item (this is a one time fee, per NFA item) with the appropriate paperwork depending on how you bought silencer (trust vs individual).

Filing with a trust requires that your trust is notarized, you send in a COPY of your trust along with what's known as schedule A. Basically when you form your trust there has to be a possession associated with it. You can put whatever you want in Schedule A as long as it's not the NFA item your are buying (once approved you add it). For instance when I formed my trust my item in schedule A was my XBOX 360.

Filing as an individual you have to have a passport photo and fingerprint cards sent in along with the Form 4

The dealer maintains possession of the silencer until you are cleared/approved by the ATF. ATF sends the approved form back to the dealer you bought the NFA item from. Dealer calls you, you go to dealer fill out ATF form 4473, take the NFA item home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom