• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Street legal ATV

"Why would you want a street legal 4 wheeler?"
If I don't get a chance to get out in the woods... I like to run it a little..... I had a HOA person try to tell me that I wasn't suppose to ride it on the streets in the subdivision.... of course the HOA does not control this or the streets, the police do.....

As far as golf carts.... I believe there is some law that indicates it does not have to be licensed if it doesn't go over 25mph...... I have not confirmed this.

In 2011 there were new "golf cart laws" passed. Here they are:

Georgia Law said:
TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 1. IDENTIFICATION AND REGULATION
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS

O.C.G.A. § 40-1-1 (2012)

§ 40-1-1. (For effective date, see note.) Definitions

As used in this title, the term:

(43.1) (For effective date, see note.) "Personal transportation vehicle" means any motor vehicle:

(A) With a minimum of four wheels;

(B) Capable of a maximum level ground speed of less than 20 miles per hour;

(C) With a maximum gross vehicle unladen or empty weight of 1,375 pounds; and

(D) Capable of transporting not more than eight persons.

The term does not include mobility aids, including power wheelchairs and scooters, that can be used indoors and outdoors for the express purpose of enabling mobility for a person with a disability. The term also does not include any all-terrain vehicle.

and

Georgia Law said:
TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 6. UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD
ARTICLE 13. SPECIAL PROVISIONS FOR CERTAIN VEHICLES
PART 6. PERSONAL TRANSPORTATION VEHICLES

O.C.G.A. § 40-6-363 (2012)

§ 40-6-363. (Effective January 1, 2012) Safety equipment required for personal transportation vehicles

(a) This part shall have no application to any county or municipality that has enacted prior to January 1, 2012, an ordinance authorizing the operation of motorized carts pursuant to Code Section 40-6-331.

(b) In addition to the requirements contained in paragraph (43.1) of Code Section 40-1-1, all personal transportation vehicles shall have the following equipment:

(1) A braking system sufficient for the weight and passenger capacity of the vehicle, including a parking brake;

(2) A reverse warning device functional at all times when the directional control is in the reverse position;

(3) A main power switch. When the switch is in the "off" position, or the key or other device that activates the switch is removed, the motive power circuit shall be inoperative. If the switch uses a key, it shall be removable only in the "off" position;

(4) Head lamps;

(5) Reflex reflectors;

(6) Tail lamps;

(7) A horn;

(8) A rearview mirror;

(9) Safety warning labels; and

(10) Hip restraints and hand holds.

I doubt you will find an insurance company to insure an atv. Also since ATV's are not titled in the state of GA there is no way to get a tag for them.

In bartow county it easy to get insurance and tags. The local tag office will issue them for around 250. Don't remember how much ins was but it wasn't too bad. Only need a working head light and brake/tail light. Hand signals for turning but you gotta have a side view mirror. Also like some already stated , you have to convert the throttle.

I would think it would be because a twist throttle is easier to ease on. Also if someone fell forward they the could land against the throttle.

Why was the officer an unhappy camper? We're you riding on his private property? LEO's don't own the road they just harrass us.

he was unhappy because his supervisor made him patrol the area until he caught us......he had been patrolling the neighborhood all day and would have rather been napping out on I-20 somewhere i guess...........lol

They don't mess with us too much down here, as long as you don't get stupid. They do however have a problem with DUI'ing a riding lawn mower. Especially with your drunk brother in the attached little red wagon, as an old buddy found out. Beer run. He thought he was doing good by not driving his truck, apparently not. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom