• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Strategy for Preventing Water Filters from Being Damaged by Freezing

How about digging a hole several feet deep to place the water filter in while not using it, and covering it with something with some insulating value. You could even place it in a garbage bag to keep it clean while in the hole.

I was hoping to get some ideas for a large home Berkey system.

Those will not fit in a boot or sleeping bag, and I don't have a place for an inside fire.

If you’re inside of a structure, I’d have it in a place in front of a window to get warm from the sun during the day, and then wrap it in blankets to retain that heat if it’s going get arctic outside.
My well pump is above the ground outside, protecting it from blowing winds is what keeps it from freezing.

For the Berkey you certainly could dig a hole below the frost line and store your filters in that every night. Insulation up top would be the key there. Also, if you shovel dirt back in the hole it'll probably freeze overnight so you'll have to re-dig through frozen ground every day.

If you're going to pull them anyways, keeping them in your sleeping bag would probably be easier.

8552F8D0-65EE-420C-BA1A-85C3D95A28D9.jpeg
I was hoping to get some ideas for a large home Berkey system.

Those will not fit in a boot or sleeping bag, and I don't have a place for an inside fire.
If you are inside and need to prevent freezing. Simple is always better., a metal enclosure would help.

When sleeping in a snow cave a single candle will keep you from freezing. 2 candles will get your snow cave too warm and melt your cave.

Caution is required. The number of home fires associated with a stupid candle is absolutely ridiculous. When I have to use a candle for power outages and such, I always take care to clear the area of anything flammable within 6 feet and place the candle on a large plate.

Back
Top Bottom