• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stoeger Cougar .45 Review

Sagan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
My wife was a little confused when I told her I ran into a cougar today and she followed me home. Picked up a Stoeger Cougar .45 today for carry, replacing my P238. More bang, more safety.

Initial impressions - locks up tight, nice safety features, odd barrel. It has the feel and heft of a well made weapon.

Features - DA/SA, decocking safety, pic rail, three dot white sights, rotating cam barrel, 8 rd mags.

Likes - Cost. Very reasonable at 440.00. Safety. Safety decocks the weapon. Has the added feature of allowing you to chamber a round with the safety on, simultaneously decocking the hammer.

Dislikes - sights... will be replacing those with some night sights (suggestions appreciated).

Range Performance - All I can say here is WOW. Very manageable recoil (way less than my full sized 1911), similar to my Sig 2022 in 9mm. Seriously, the recoil is that impressive. They claim this is due to the rotating barrel, and they could be right. Very quick reset, allowing for fast follow up. At 7 yds, maintained 3-4 inch groups with some fairly rapid follow up shots (about 4 seconds for 8 shots). Any faster than that and the range would have booted me. The only oddballs I had were the first few DA shots I tried. They all wound up a little low, while I was figuring out the break point.

The double action trigger pull is very smooth and will surprise you with the shot (not a real heavy break). The single action trigger is very clean and crisp. Not sure of the actual trigger pull weights, but I am more than happy with it. If I had to guess, I would say around 6-8 for single and 10-12 for double.

Next project is to make a holster for it. Does anyone remember that post that someone did a while ago about the home made hybrid holster he did? I was thinking of doing something simiilar.

www.ammoland.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_01_Stoeger_Cougar_Pistol.jpg

Last edited:
Updated range report. Took the pistol out yesterday and was absolutely floored by how well it handled follow up shots. I don't normally practice fast follow up shots, since my home range does not allow rapid fire. The range I went to yesterday is a little more realistic though. By the end of 10 rounds, I was able to keep a rapid follow up shot within 2 inches of the first shot. And that is with the first shot being DA. By the end of 50 rounds, I was able to place 5 rapid shots in a 4-5 inch area at about 25 feet (8 long strides). From 1st to 5th shot was less than 2 seconds. I repeated this 3 times. All shots were with GA Arms HP rounds.

The only downside to this gun so far is the rail. It is proving to be fairly difficult to find a CCW holster for it. If I can't, then it may replace my Sig 9mm as my bedside pistol.

I have a Beretta cougar in 9mm. One thing about these cougars - even though it is a shorter barreled gun, they are as heavy as a full size FS92. I don't really know why but assume its the rotating barrel design. Many people dislike the Beretta 92s because of their weight as compared to a plastic gun. If you are one, you won't like the cougar.

Great review Sagan.

Back
Top Bottom