• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stock vs custom 10/22's?

TJW1208

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
258   0
Reaction score
I know there are some 10/22 gurus put there, is building a custom 10/22 accuracy THAT much better than stock? Do they run as reliably?

Also, building one vs buying a factory tacsol or kidd 10/22 for around a grand?

It all depends on what end result you're looking for and how deep your pockets are. Do you want it for hunting, backyard target, competition or ????

I have built several high dollar 10/22's that were very accurate and reliable. I also built a cheaper 10/22 using all Butler Creek parts including the bull barrel and found it was just as accurate as the high dollar builds.

Most bull barrels will not reliably feed CCI stingers, the bullet is to long.

I have built several high dollar 10/22's that were very accurate and reliable. I also built a cheaper 10/22 using all Butler Creek parts including the bull barrel and found it was just as accurate as the high dollar builds.

Most bull barrels will not reliably feed CCI stingers, the bullet is to long.

All I shoot is subsonic and standard velocity...I always suppress .22

A few years back I got the combo thumbhole stock and bull barrel.

The barrel comes off when you remove two allen screws under the front of the receiver.

A little file work on the trigger and she produces dime size groups at 25yds off of a bipod.

Not taking anything away from any custom builds because I've never handled/shot one but I'm very happy with my home build.

Attachments

• Pistolas 150.jpg
    Pistolas 150.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 17
Yep nothing wrong with the cheaper builds. My Butler Creek was a stock and barrel combo I picked up at a buddies pawn shop. It was a big improvement over the stock 10/22 and wasn't that expensive. You can do a few small mods to the bolt to improve accuracy as well. A good aftermarket trigger helps a lot also. One of my more expensive builds had a Timney trigger kit and another had a Jewl trigger kit that I think is no longer available.

Most of the mods that increase accuracy can be done DIY on the cheap. The expensive stuff tends to be more for comfort, weight or looks. For best accuracy/reliability I would:

Glass Bed
Trigger Job
Headspace
Bolt/receiver polish
Extractor (if you have issues)

You can do all those for a few bucks. I have made 10/22 triggers down to around 2-2.5lbs with stock parts. The extractor is the only bought part but it is cheap. The stock barrels are no slouch for accuracy. There is a guy in Alabama that will thread and recut to a better chamber for under $100 all in.

My upgraded 10/22s shoot groups half the size of factory stock Non-modded ones.

the barrel made the biggest difference, probably due to tighter chamber.

The trigger job that gave me a crisp 2 pound pull was well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom