• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Springfield XD .45 Trigger Pull

Deleted member 20426

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
5   0
Reaction score
FIRST QUESTION - does anyone know a gunsmith who will change the trigger pull to 3.5lbs for a reasonable price? I was quoted $75.

By comparison, and I know it's not a Glock, my brother got his trigger pull changed on his Glock at a Gun-show for $20 or $30 in about 5 minutes.

SECOND QUESTION - Also, I was quoted $200 to re-blue a .44 magnum ruger revolver. Anyone know a very good but less expensive gunsmith for this? The factory will do it for $130 but shipping is $30 each way.

Any tips for a reputable and reasonable gunsmith in Atlanta would be welcome. Quality and price are what I am looking for. And for gun smiths, I apologize but it's the economy.

$75 for a trigger job and $200 for a re-blue is about the average rate, except for a Glock trigger. A Glock minus connector and a 6 lb. trigger return spring and you have about a 3.5 lb. trigger pull-on a Glock. It's very easy to do in just a few minutes.

Not too many Gun Smiths bother with bluing, the closest one that does it himself is Steve Parsons "Old Iron Firearm Restoration" out of Griffin GA. Brian Ott is a well know Smith and I'm sure he can do an XD trigger. He is West of Atlanta and is a member here on the ODT.

Last edited:
Get the Powder River Precision trigger kit. Really easy to install and will not only lighten the trigger, but will dramatically decrease take up and overtravel.

To take your XD to the weight you want you need only to install a lightened spring kit. This takes about 10 minutes-ish. If you want to clean it up a bit I suggest polishing (just don't over do it). I wouldn't suggest doing more if this is a carry gun.

However, if this is NOT for carry and you want a sweet trigger; then I 2nd the PRP trigger kit. I've installed about 55 or so and they always turn out well. Without any sear work they typically drop to 3-3.5 lbs (this is mostly due to the springs mentioned earlier) and the over travel and take up are virtually gone with a very nice reset. With the guns I set up for competition I typically get the round trip travel to around 3/32" and the pull weight to 2-2.5lbs. This is of course with XDm .40s and 9mms as nobody shoots .45s of this type in matches (with the exception of heavy metal 3gun).

Revolver - Do you specifically want it blued for some reason or just want a good finish on it? If it's the latter that you desire I strongly suggest a Isonite finish. Hard, black, cleans easy, won't rust, you will never mess with it again.

PM with questions if I don't see replies here - don't check back on threads often.

3rd recommendation for PRP. I use the ultimate match target kit in all my XDm's. I installed the easy fit kit in my son's XD9 only because he is a novice shooter so a light trigger is not a good idea. After he gets some more trigger time I will swap it out for a lighter trigger if that's what he wants. His trigger pull is at 4# even wich is good for a carry gun.

My XDm45 competition also has the reduced power springs and a few titanium parts along with my ultimate match target kit for a pull weight of 3# 1.3oz with virtually no pre travel and no over travel.

My XDm9 competition has just the ultimate match target kit and it is at 3# 12oz. on the pull weight.

Back
Top Bottom