• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield Prodigy

Because they bought them when they were "new hotness" and they aren't anymore. They are no longer the bargain basement 2011 thanks to MAC/TISAS and they are not high end either.

Also most people that shoot, shoot 100 rounds or so a year, if at all. A 2011 shoots better than a glock or sig or whatever polymer wonder 9, but only if you're actually willing to put in the work and practice.

Plus they are a fat @itch to carry.

Still better
Because they bought them when they were "new hotness" and they aren't anymore. They are no longer the bargain basement 2011 thanks to MAC/TISAS and they are not high end either.

Also most people that shoot, shoot 100 rounds or so a year, if at all. A 2011 shoots better than a glock or sig or whatever polymer wonder 9, but only if you're actually willing to put in the work and practice.

Still a way better gun than the basic cheap 1911 that are double stack like tisas and such looking like a Taurus 1911
Most buy the gun and never break it in and sell it. The cosmetics of the gun and the grip are amazing I’m gonna upgrade mine
Paid 1200 for mine out the door leaving 800+ to make a dang good 2011 at mid tier price and be better than a bul armory

Still better
Still a way better gun than the basic cheap 1911 that are double stack like tisas and such looking like a Taurus 1911
Most buy the gun and never break it in and sell it. The cosmetics of the gun and the grip are amazing I’m gonna upgrade mine
David Postell David Postell

I'm a 1911/2011 guy and have been for years. I've owned everything from the Taurus mentioned (and RIA, springer gi, etc) on the low end, all the way up to Baers, Alchemy, STI, for factory builds and a few fully custom bespoke 2011s. At the end of the day the lower end versions still pretty much reliably make the right size hole in the general area you want it to. The higher end stuff does it too, but with more time spent on fit and finish, custom touches, and things that really only make a difference to someone that can notice the difference.

My buddies that shoot infrequently could make the same size groups with a RIA or taurus as they could holding my Baer. When I was serious about competing I could cut my group sizes down to about the mechanical limit of accuracy with my Baer compared to "good enough" with the others. It's like Timex and Omega. Both tell the time, both run well enough, one costs way more and arguably has minimal differences, but makes sense for somebody that wants that thing.

A prodigy runs and works. The safety is a little sharp and the grip is kinda big, but the versions I have shot are certainly good enough. Whether someone thinks it's worth it to spend 3x the cost for a gun that literally does the same thing down to taking the same mags, that's an owners preference based on perceived need and financial situation.

Do I NEED mammoth tusk grips that cost more than my whole first carry set up on my Alchemy that cost as much as most of the cars I've ever owned? No. Especially considering I'm gonna pop like 100 rounds of ****ty factory ammo into a single paper target at close distance. But do I like it and want it? You bet.

2011 are just comp/range toys.
I mean if you’re a big ol dude sure carry it. But why? There’s lighter smaller guns.
If you’re gonna buy a 2011 (double stack 1911) buy one that don’t look cheap and basic like these companies making 1911 with 15+ rounders just to look exactly like a 1911 made years ago. That’s my argument with the cheaper guns. And why I got a prodigy over a bul. Cause I can make it better for the same price. All guns do what they need to as long as they function correctly. Just cause your rich don’t mean you need a corvette over a Honda lol

David Postell David Postell

I'm a 1911/2011 guy and have been for years. I've owned everything from the Taurus mentioned (and RIA, springer gi, etc) on the low end, all the way up to Baers, Alchemy, STI, for factory builds and a few fully custom bespoke 2011s. At the end of the day the lower end versions still pretty much reliably make the right size hole in the general area you want it to. The higher end stuff does it too, but with more time spent on fit and finish, custom touches, and things that really only make a difference to someone that can notice the difference.

My buddies that shoot infrequently could make the same size groups with a RIA or taurus as they could holding my Baer. When I was serious about competing I could cut my group sizes down to about the mechanical limit of accuracy with my Baer compared to "good enough" with the others. It's like Timex and Omega. Both tell the time, both run well enough, one costs way more and arguably has minimal differences, but makes sense for somebody that wants that thing.

A prodigy runs and works. The safety is a little sharp and the grip is kinda big, but the versions I have shot are certainly good enough. Whether someone thinks it's worth it to spend 3x the cost for a gun that literally does the same thing down to taking the same mags, that's an owners preference based on perceived need and financial situation.

Do I NEED mammoth tusk grips that cost more than my whole first carry set up on my Alchemy that cost as much as most of the cars I've ever owned? No. Especially considering I'm gonna pop like 100 rounds of ****ty factory ammo into a single paper target at close distance. But do I like it and want it? You bet.
Guy up at SSGR has so many stacattos,nighthawks,atlas's,Wilson's,aliens,bull armory on and on and atleast 40 other really nice steel frame 1911 guns plus alot of aluminum frames ones to. I've had the pleasure to shoot them and it was insightful shooting them.
Best one I liked and got was the 2011 p series 4.4 it's just the sweet spot money wise and accuracy and that's my 2 cents.
Some of them never rose when shooting like the nighthawk and stacattos xc and atlas's.
The guy who has them was just nice enough to let me shoot them before I bought what I found I liked from mfg or other.

Seeing stuff up for sale used doesn't always mean that they're bad guns that folks are "dumping". Folks like to buy, sell, and trade. If a gun is popular, and there are a lot of them on the market, then you'll see a lot of them for sale here (we're part of the "market").

I've got a buddy that is always buying the newest hotness. I'll let him buy it, I'll shoot it with him to see if I like it. Then, if I can wait about a year, he'll almost always hit me up and tell me he's fixin' to sell it. LOL

My EDC right now is a Staccato C2. It's a little smaller than the Prodigy / Staccato P, and makes a nice CCW for me. I would expect that with the success of the Prodigy, SAI will be coming out with different variants; smaller guns for CCW, bigger guns for competition, etc.

thanks Steviesterno, I think you are probably right on target with that answer. I don't shoot as often as I would like to due to the cost, but still put about 300 rounds downrange per month. As for the size/weight of carrying it, that isn't a problem for me, I mount my pistol underneath the seatpan of my wheelchair, so size and weight are no issue. as for it shooting better than most, that is what I am hoping for, I love 1911 triggers, and that in itself will put a gun ahead of ay polymerpistol out there. and shooting a 1911 on a 9mm platform is like butter. super smooth. Thanks again for the comment. ia m weighing the odds of getting one of the Prodigy pistols.

Back
Top Bottom