• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Spare fuel for BOV?

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to discretely store fuel in a BOV? As far as: if it came to it and I needed to bug out and not be a target for having spare fuel on the back of my SUV.

I was thinking about a decent sized fuel cell (10-12 gal), but I don’t want anything permanent that I need to tap into the fuel system for.

So I guess I’m looking for this: 10-12g tank that I can use a super siphon on that can be set in the cargo area and strapped into place. It needs to be sealed well so no vapor leaks get into the cabin of the truck. It won’t be stored in my vehicle full time, probably in the garage or shed and I can just lift it into the truck if needed.

Something similar to this, but I’m all ears for ideas
02725988-D627-4DFD-9D26-2D4A43080DA7.jpeg

Not being a *****@$$ by any means, but if you are only want an extra 10 to 12 gallon capacity, why not just replace your existing tank with a bigger one. A good metal fabricator can make a 55 gallon tank fit under your vehicle without changing ground clearance. Well unless you drive a Prius.

Not being a *****@$$ by any means, but if you are only want an extra 10 to 12 gallon capacity, why not just replace your existing tank with a bigger one. A good metal fabricator can make a 55 gallon tank fit under your vehicle without changing ground clearance. Well unless you drive a Prius.

Depending on the year it was made, there isn't much room underneath for tanks that size. Maybe on something older like a pickup or van, but space is limited on current models. Mine currently holds 35 gallons and it's a very large/long tank. I can't see adding something in the 55 gallon size unless it takes up the space where the spare tire goes.

I can't even imagine what it would cost to have something like that welded up and installed. All for something that might or might not happen in the next 5 years. Better to have spare fuel can's that isn't tied down to one specific vehicle in case it's time to replace it if it needs major work or totaled.

I didn’t want an aux fuel cell that needed to be tapped into the existing fuel system. Let alone swapping fuel tanks completely. There’s a small amount of space under the truck but it’s somewhat limited. It wouldn’t yield that much more, just wouldn’t be worth all that

I picked up a pair of 5 gallon jerry can's to install in my van. Lots of companies make brackets to secure them down in vehicles.

Once I get the layout planned out I'm gonna pick up a set to install and keep it as back up fuel with stabilizer in it.

Something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Jerry-C...-3e68-4297-ae53-2e7d289ce47b&epid=26020613934
Yeah the more I look into it Im wondering if I’d be time and money ahead to just get a couple Jerry cans. Probably seal off and not leak better and if I’m only looking to ad 10 or so gal it’d probably be all I need. I could probably get three 5g cans and store more fuel for the money than a stand alone tank. Probably tougher and smaller chance of losing all the fuel to a leak than it all being in one big tank

Being tall and skinny helps when loading your vehicle with all your gear. Can also fit on the floor boards in front of seats if space is an issue.

And if you never have to bug out with them, you'll still have use for them to fuel up any generator or lawn equipment.

Back
Top Bottom