• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Space Geeks Unite! ** LIVE Starship SN8 Launch ** 12/8

According to Space.com
"...less than 2 seconds before liftoff, just after 5:30 p.m. EDT (2230 GMT and 4:30 p.m. local Texas time), SN8 detected something abnormal with one or more of its three Raptor engines and automatically aborted the flight."
"It's unclear at the moment when SN8 will get its next chance to fly; that depends on what caused the abort and how difficult it will be to fix. But there are launch windows available on both Wednesday and Thursday (Dec. 9 and Dec. 10)..."

Dammit, so launch happened today and I missed it. Apparently there were some positive outcomes and data gained, but it still blew up when trying to land. Must be nice to be able to flush $219 million down the toilet for research purposes! Still pretty cool though.

So, from what I can tell it was a success in many ways. It landed where it was supposed to, albeit a bit faster than planned. Elon said fuel pressure was low on the header tank during landing. Otherwise, they gained a crapload of data, showed the landing maneuver works, and the three raptors ran good.

SN9 is ready to hit the stand and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see another flight in the next month or so.

Anyone notice that the explosion is a different clip?

Different camera, different perspective, & rocket that exploded seems to be sitting stationary, perfectly vertical, rather than continuing downward at the slight angle prior to impact. Slow it down to X.25 in YouTube to see it clearly.

Back
Top Bottom