• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Son wants to go west for a hunt for Christmas

You can get elk and mule deer tags over the counter. Watch out. The later hunts can snow you in. I hunted around Rifle some, where some Ga boys left a Ford Bronco in the National forest til the next spring. I bulldozed my way out of there once, stopping ever so often to get snow out of the grill.
That sounds like a terrible way to learn a lesson lol. I appreciate you telling me that instead of learning it the hard way

I do not spend more than a $1500 for my DIY Wyoming hunts. That is out of state tag, my share of gas, my share of hotel, and my share of food. Use mostly my Army cold weather gear (retired). Probably spend another $500 on some type of "cool" boots or high speed stuff that I could live without. I have bought two rifles with scopes but again did not have to
This is kind of what I was expecting to hear. Thank you for some good input

I just moved back to GA from WA. I did some elk hunting out near Pullman but never had any luck. I saw several trophy deer though. Same as what everyone is saying about other places, not cheap.
People forget it’s called hunting, not killing. If you look at peoples success rates here in GA for whitetail it’s probably just as low As anywhere else. That’s the way it goes

People forget it’s called hunting, not killing. If you look at peoples success rates here in GA for whitetail it’s probably just as low As anywhere else. That’s the way it goes
100% agree. It’s worth going out there just to see the land. It’s such a beautiful area and an awesome experience.

Like many have mentioned CO will be best option if not only option for elk without spending a lot of $$$$. We have DIY it a few times with little to no kill success. However, it is a awesome time! Just think of it as an expensive hiking trip! LoL.

You will need to apply for certain seasons, for example first, second rifle, GMUs in February or buy left over tags.

Back
Top Bottom