• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Son wants to go west for a hunt for Christmas

ckarr

Bear Icon
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
He mentioned maybe me, him and his mama going out west on an elk hunt together as his Christmas present. I promise I really didn’t put this in his head. lol. Even if it weren’t an elk hunt he would enjoy most any game from quail, pheasant, deer, elk. He loves to camp and would be able to rough it and hike a moderate distance for a 12 yr old. Any suggestions people? Of course the cheaper the better would definitely not spend 2-3k

I hope you aren't talking about THIS year?
Somebody with more current info will surely chime in but back MANY years ago when I was looking at doing it, $3k was not going to get you a bull elk hunt.
Definitely not this year. Something for next year. I figured it wouldn’t go far but also maybe some good public land options even though I hate public land around here

You could most definitely do it yourself. Hunt BLM land in CO. Your tags is what is going to be, somewhat costly which are over the counter. Find a unit and you could stay in a motel, if ones nearby or camp depending on what time of year you go. It may be 70 degrees one day and a foot of snow that night is why I mentioned the motel. Your wife would possibly enjoy the scenery on the way out and y’all could stop off at several places on the way out.

You could most definitely do it yourself. Hunt BLM land in CO. Your tags is what is going to be, somewhat costly which are over the counter. Find a unit and you could stay in a motel, if ones nearby or camp depending on what time of year you go. It may be 70 degrees one day and a foot of snow that night is why I mentioned the motel. Your wife would possibly enjoy the scenery on the way out and y’all could stop off at several places on the way out.
This definitely sounds like something I’m looking for. Y’all had any consistent kick up there?

This definitely sounds like something I’m looking for. Y’all had any consistent kick up there?

Meeker, Craig and Dove Creek are good. But as you know this is public land and when you go, and that is which rifle season which will also depend on the weather as well. It will be fun for you your son and your wife and you have an opportunity to get an Elk. Let your son get a Bull tag and you get a Cow tag that way if y’all see anything you will have an Elk.

Back
Top Bottom