• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

So what do you do when it’s hot as heck outside? Melt some Cosmoline…

GMANINGA

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
25   0
Reaction score
I had about 10 surplus Bren Mags caked in Cosmoline, so I just disassembled them, put the in a garbage bag, and left them in the sun for an hour, and it simply wiped right off. I have heard of people using a variety of methods such as dishwasher ( wife would not be keen on that) , boiling water, etc.. but this worked well..

before and after..

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 30
Did this when I got my first Mosin. Wrapped everything in newspaper and put them in a trash bag on my dash. I miss smelling that stuff for the first time.

The cleaned mag shown is in excellent condition.
It was one of the better ones. I purchased about 20 of them really cheap about 5 years ago. The Bren (semi) was built by Len Savage. He did a super job. I was able to find some non corrosive 303 for about $.50/round a couple of years back, now I just need to find a place to shoot it. Showing up at the indoor range with a Bren is not my idea of fun. It would be fun to get a Old War Horse shoot sometime. I have a bunch of bolt actions that never see daylight.

Every time I see a Bren discussed, it reminds me of the movie, I think was Lock Stock and 2 Smoking barrels. Guy comes out with Bren with the mag loading from top. Other guys ask him what is that likely with a few expletives. He said "it's me Bren gun". Always found that line funny.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom