• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

So up to 6'2" 340 now. Ordered the Nutrisystem 7 day a week plan (Didn't work. I couldn't stick to it.)

Rather than making a big, difficult, extreme change, have you tried starting with small changes? For instance, keeping everything the same, but instead of that last, late, bedtime snack, skip that last one before bed & go to sleep hungry (been doing this one myself, lately)?

Your local library probably has an app for your phone that will let you checkout audiobooks. Atomic Habits by James Clear is a good overview of how small, easy changes can have big results. Relatively quick & easy listen, especially if you bump up the speed of playback in the app.

Remember, it took Edison somewhere between 1000-10000 attempts before he invented the lightbulb. Dust yourself off and keep going!

Keto is great, but it's way harder than NutriSystems. Although some of the new breads are a Godsend.

I had my best results (300 -> 250) using the "4-hour body" plan Tim Ferris covered in his book of the same name. The book is about a lot of things, but diet is right up front.

It's like a light version of Keto, except you only really limit 'fast' carbs. Think of processed or starchy foods.

Foods with 'slow' carbs like legumes and such have no restrictions. Plus there's a mandatory 'cheat day' every week where all bets are off and you can eat (or drink) whatever you want.

It was actually pretty easy to maintain. I'd do eggs and bacon/sausage for breakfast with a breakfast shake (low carb, high protein). Usually a salad for lunch, with some kind of meat in it. (chicken or Italian sausage were two favorites). Then some kind of meat-and two (or three) for dinner.

I didn't do any additional exercise and still dropped 50 lbs. Problem is once you get there it's easy just to stop doing it and order pizzas every night.

That's what happened and 5 years after I stopped I was back up to 300. It took a while because some of the low-carb habits stuck around.

The second way to lose weight is to get a dog. I try to go out and walk him twice a day around my neighborhood. Each walk is around 30 minutes and 2.5 miles.

I didn't change my diet (which was still semi-low carb w/ a lot of cheating) but just that little bit of exercise dropped me from 300 (again) to 260-ish.
12 minute miles are damn good for a dog walk.

Here's anther keto hack: Yes, we eat a ton of eggs too, but they sell cartons of egg whites at the store. When I make scrambled eggs, I replace 1 or two, depending on the size of the meal with egg whites. Helps cut down on the cholesterol a little...
My eggs are free (well cost of chicken feed), I may still have to separate yolks out and try that out. So far my cholesterol is pretty good levels.

I haven't read the whole thread. So sorry if this was mentioned before.
Get your thyroid checked. Mine was off and I was having some issues losing weight. (6' 1" - 250lb)
Ask the doctor if you qualify for Jardiance. It's an interesting drug.
One of the things I've learned since I started taking it is that if you have sugar (calories) in your urine it will reabsorb into your body inside your bladder.

Doing Keto here. Lots of meats mostly chicken and ground beef, keto bread, and certain vegetables. ALDIs has a good keto bread and keto snacks that are decent. I'm cutting sugar anyway as I'm just below type II diabetes. And exercising each day. Sold the riding mower and using a walk behind self propelled to mow my half acre over two days.

nutrisystem-review-1.jpeg

I know it sounds super cliche man, but these fad type diets never work long term for the majority of people. I know there are success stories and people that will recommend them, etc. But as my doc told me, all weight loss really boils down to, is eating less and moving more. Calculate what you take in every day, then subtract what you burn. If what you take in is still significantly higher than the average 2000 calories, you're going to keep gaining weight or at the very least, not lose any.

Our bodies weren't designed to be sedentary while taking in the type of foods we eat now.

I know it sounds super cliche man, but these fad type diets never work long term for the majority of people. I know there are success stories and people that will recommend them, etc. But as my doc told me, all weight loss really boils down to, is eating less and moving more. Calculate what you take in every day, then subtract what you burn. If what you take in is still significantly higher than the average 2000 calories, you're going to keep gaining weight or at the very least, not lose any.

Our bodies weren't designed to be sedentary while taking in the type of foods we eat now.
Is your doctor fat?

Is your doctor fat?
Actually he's in decent shape for an older guy :lol:. But I definitely know that when I just started cutting back on crap and portion size, along with some moderate exercise, I dropped some lbs. Still eat what I want meal wise, but cut out the sugary stuff, sodas, tea, etc. It sucked for a while, and I slip up occasionally. But pretty much just eat my regular meals, and mostly water all day. I drink black coffee too. That creamer will get ya!

Back
Top Bottom