• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

snake boot recomendations?

Rocky Goretex with side zips

I keep one pair for turkey hunts and one in the truck for greenfield visits with work.....best and most comfortable snake boots ive owned and very reasonable.

Just picked up my second pair of Rocky 16" snake boots from bass pro. $125.00, insulated and fully waterproof to about 14". very comfortable feel like wearing tennis shoes. First pair finally wore out after 3 years and 2 trips too close to camp fire.

I also wear Rocky snake boots... going on 4 years of use without a problem.

Got a pair of the Redheads. Served me well with two strikes - a moccasin and a copperhead. Copperhead got two strikes and moccasin one strike. Moccasin just low near toe and copperhead ankle and shin. Moccasin was a surprise, copperhead was not as I was working to get my snaps and didn't notice a second copperhead that I about stepped on to get a better photograph of the snake that was my subject.

Redheads must be better than in the past.A few years ago,a Redhead sales-demo person was bitten at Bass Pro by a rattler.The snake went through the boots that the guy was demoing.Then,while the Bitee was being treated,some helpers put balloons in some more Redheads,and the snake bit through and busted the balloons.My wife had just bought a pair,so I got her some shinguards to wear over the boots.

I don`t get it. I have been hunting since 1972 and have never had or will have snake boots. I have never seen any snakes that have given me alarm. Maybe its just where I hunt. I don't know.Have a place in the mountains for 8 years. Only seen 1 and he was scooting to get out of my way in the grass. I know there might be that one time, but tall boots to me are uncomfortable.JMO

I don`t get it. I have been hunting since 1972 and have never had or will have snake boots. I have never seen any snakes that have given me alarm. Maybe its just where I hunt. I don't know.Have a place in the mountains for 8 years. Only seen 1 and he was scooting to get out of my way in the grass. I know there might be that one time, but tall boots to me are uncomfortable.JMO

Snake boots are like condoms, guns, and parachutes.....you never need them until you REALLY need them.

This guy never saw that snake either. Dick Rupert, 68, was climbing down from a tree stand Saturday morning when the snake bit him on the calf, Oglethorpe County Coroner James Mathews told the Athens Banner-Herald.
Rupert died at Wills Memorial Hospital in Washington about an hour later, Mathews said.
Rupert's 12-year-old grandson, who was hunting with him, tried to drive him back to the road on a four-wheeler, but he passed out and fell off twice, Mathews said.
Rupert's grandson and his son, who was hunting nearby, dragged him to the road, and he was unresponsive when Oglethorpe EMS workers arrived at 7:44 a.m., Mathews told the newspaper.
"The grandson was doing CPR when our crew got there," Mathews told the Banner-Herald. "But Mr. Rupert was already in full cardiac arrest."
John Willson, a snake researcher at the University of Georgia's Savannah River Ecology Lab, said the snake was likely a timber rattler. Such bites rarely are deadly, he said.
"Most venomous species in the Southeast, you can recover if you make it to a hospital within two to three hours," Willson said.

This guy never saw that snake either. Dick Rupert, 68, was climbing down from a tree stand Saturday morning when the snake bit him on the calf, Oglethorpe County Coroner James Mathews told the Athens Banner-Herald.
Rupert died at Wills Memorial Hospital in Washington about an hour later, Mathews said.
Rupert's 12-year-old grandson, who was hunting with him, tried to drive him back to the road on a four-wheeler, but he passed out and fell off twice, Mathews said.
Rupert's grandson and his son, who was hunting nearby, dragged him to the road, and he was unresponsive when Oglethorpe EMS workers arrived at 7:44 a.m., Mathews told the newspaper.
"The grandson was doing CPR when our crew got there," Mathews told the Banner-Herald. "But Mr. Rupert was already in full cardiac arrest."
John Willson, a snake researcher at the University of Georgia's Savannah River Ecology Lab, said the snake was likely a timber rattler. Such bites rarely are deadly, he said.
"Most venomous species in the Southeast, you can recover if you make it to a hospital within two to three hours," Willson said.
That's just terrible!! Good reason to invest in snake boots!!

Rode up tp Bargain Barn today,tried some Danner Jackal snake boots.Very light and comfortable.I had read somewhere that these Danners were issued to troops in one of our mideast war zones.I bought `em for $200.They are made in China,allegedly the only Danner made in China.Last time I tried on Pronghorns,none fit well.I like these Jackals,so far,we`ll see.My Mucks are comfortable but hot above 70 degrees.