• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Smoker?

kmaxwell3

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
21   0
Reaction score
Looking to get a small vertical smoker nothing fancy to start. Should I get a electric or gas? I want something easy to use. If any of you have one you want to get rid of let me know. Thanks!!

Welllllll, it's like one of those forever arguments on what caliber is better. I'm on a budget and started with a free smoker that was the best one I ever had for cheap... small charcoal grill/can for smoking. The new design is not even close and replaced the old design. SO- I modified it heavily and it's better but not super awesome like the old one. (like the master forge from Lowes) Then I got a vertical smoker for about 270 from Bass Pro and it uses a lot more fuel but I can smoke 6x? the food at the same time. So per plate it might actually be more efficient. So far, still learning how to use it but I really like it. I've heard that you can flavor the food with smoke for the first 1.5 hrs (again another argument like what caliber is better so don't even start arguing). It's got a water bowl, it's got a nice thermometer unlike the old one that said "too low, just right and too high". It's got a huge door and a big air vent at the grill and a variable exhaust at the top. It's the Brinkman Vertical Trailmaster Smoker and grill. I bought the sample packs of wood too to try them all out. Hope this helps, you can always send me a pm if you have questions. Again, I'm still learning to use it but so far it looks like I going to not be svelt any more after tasting what it can do. I see lot's more exercise coming for sure to keep the lbs off.

i have a bge as well but my father in law had an electric one and he smoked some great stuff!! I would personally start off cheap and see if you're remotely interested in it and then maybe going ceramic.

I'd skip electric and gas for a smoker. You won't get the same flavor as you will from charcoal or wood. There's a vertical charcoal listed here on the ODT for $40. I'd also check out the Weber Smoky Mountain.

If you really want to get into p it, check out an offset smoker. You have two basic style. COS and EOS or Cheap Offset Smoker and Expensive Offset Smoker. The COS are great to start with due to price and they allow you really fine tune your smoking without dropping serious $$ on a smoker.

I bought a COS and it was so out of whack and had so many leaks it was pretty tough to keep a steady temp. It took a lot of modifications for it to be usable. That being said now I'm in the market for a cheaper vertical smoker so I don't have to babysit the COS for 6 hours straight.

Back
Top Bottom