Small Pistol Primers in 223

It's funny how you get so many warnings and not enough answers like maybe the warning natzi forgot to read you question. Rifles have a stronger strike than a pistol. So yes a primer can be punctured but the real problem is the floating firing pin on ar and ak rifles to be specific. You can get a slam fire. If you take a factory load and cycle the bolt you will see a small dent in the primer. If this was to be soft say federal small pistol this is enough force to set it off. Now going the other way is less dangerous but there is still a bit it is also a hassle. If you use a am riffle in a pistol you get a bigger spark. Okay on light loads might not even know on hot loads it can put you over the top. The hassle comes in when you do this and the pistol won't ignite the primer at all. Just not enough force this usually happens on a trigger job. This light strike on a hard primmer can also happen when using wolf and Tula primers. The are harder than most. This happened to me on a s&w m&p 45 with an apex trigger. By the way the 45 has two primmer sizes small and large this is the only instance I could imagine a person would try this. To duplicate the large primmer spark. With primmers costing less that 2 cent each I can't imagine that some body would need to save a bit of dough. The 454 has a lot of powder to ignite the guns are of course built stronger that lets say your lcp. All of them. This was part of the super powerfully good design. Hope this help insert warning here.

It's funny how you get so many warnings and not enough answers like maybe the warning natzi forgot to read you question. Rifles have a stronger strike than a pistol. So yes a primer can be punctured but the real problem is the floating firing pin on ar and ak rifles to be specific. You can get a slam fire. If you take a factory load and cycle the bolt you will see a small dent in the primer. If this was to be soft say federal small pistol this is enough force to set it off. Now going the other way is less dangerous but there is still a bit it is also a hassle. If you use a am riffle in a pistol you get a bigger spark. Okay on light loads might not even know on hot loads it can put you over the top. The hassle comes in when you do this and the pistol won't ignite the primer at all. Just not enough force this usually happens on a trigger job. This light strike on a hard primmer can also happen when using wolf and Tula primers. The are harder than most. This happened to me on a s&w m&p 45 with an apex trigger. By the way the 45 has two primmer sizes small and large this is the only instance I could imagine a person would try this. To duplicate the large primmer spark. With primmers costing less that 2 cent each I can't imagine that some body would need to save a bit of dough. The 454 has a lot of powder to ignite the guns are of course built stronger that lets say your lcp. All of them. This was part of the super powerfully good design. Hope this help insert warning here.

Just my two cents, but a person undertaking the job of loading their own ammo should do a bit of the basic legwork for themselves.

As I posted earlier, I enjoy helping folks along, but I ain't interested in doing it all for those that aren't willing to do a little on their own.

This info ain't that hard to find. Whether it's pressures, punctures, thickness, fire, or whatever reason, primers are pretty well covered in most manuals.

Yes, a small rifle will fit and likely work in many small pistol apps. You mainspring may fire every round, but why not just get the right ones to begin with? No, I wouldn't consider using a small pistol primer in a 60,000 psi rifle round, especially a selfloader with a floating firing pin.

This info is located in any decent loading manual. Who knows, a little bit of reading may payoff big one day?

I checked the cup thickness of both Wolf primers. The small rifle primer is .001" thicker than the small pistol primer. All of my other small rifle primers (Rem 7 1/2, CCI BR, Fed 205 BR) measure same thickness of the thinner Wolf small pistol. Is there a way the check how hard a primer is? Maybe I can fire a few cases loaded with just primers (no powder or bullet) then compair firing pin indentation and sound of primer igniting.

Sorry if all this sounds unsafe. This is just for conversation purposes only.

BTW Franklins in Athens has all their Wolf primers on sale for $25.00 per 1000. They have LOTS of small pistol, large pistol, small rifle, large rifle, but no magnums. I purchased small rifle (copper color cup) and small pistol (chrome color cup).

OFF TO ATHENS:D

Last edited:
it's funny how you get so many warnings and not enough answers like maybe the warning natzi forgot to read you question. Rifles have a stronger strike than a pistol. So yes a primer can be punctured but the real problem is the floating firing pin on ar and ak rifles to be specific. You can get a slam fire. If you take a factory load and cycle the bolt you will see a small dent in the primer. If this was to be soft say federal small pistol this is enough force to set it off. Now going the other way is less dangerous but there is still a bit it is also a hassle. If you use a am riffle in a pistol you get a bigger spark. Okay on light loads might not even know on hot loads it can put you over the top. The hassle comes in when you do this and the pistol won't ignite the primer at all. Just not enough force this usually happens on a trigger job. This light strike on a hard primmer can also happen when using wolf and tula primers. The are harder than most. This happened to me on a s&w m&p 45 with an apex trigger. By the way the 45 has two primmer sizes small and large this is the only instance i could imagine a person would try this. To duplicate the large primmer spark. With primmers costing less that 2 cent each i can't imagine that some body would need to save a bit of dough. The 454 has a lot of powder to ignite the guns are of course built stronger that lets say your lcp. All of them. This was part of the super powerfully good design. Hope this help insert warning here.

^^^^ my eyes!!!

Back
Top Bottom