Small Pistol Primers in 223

detox

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased some Wolf small rifle and small pistol primers. After inspection i noticed the size looked identical, but I am shure the flash would be different. Has anyone ever used small pistol primers in the 223 or small rifle primers in a small pistol such as .357 magnum? What is the difference between the two primers?

I'll echo the other's comments. For several reasons, not a good idea at all.

It's all explained in that section of the manuals most people don't read.

This isn't not trimming brass from 1.67 to 1.60. Or how to measure to the lands. Don't take this too personally, but if your asking these questions you have no business at a press and need to seriously read read and read before you touch any thing. And don't goto any of the ranges local to me please.

No do not do that read your manual the cups on pistol primers are thinner and can be punctured by rifle firing pins fairly easy. Do not substitute ever.

Your reason sounds best. My ar15 may turn full auto caused by slam fires, but i bet it wouldn't.

Some people use both standard and magnum small rifle in the 223. Is this safe?

You're deciding one reason you read on the internet sounds better than another?

Where I can, I genuinely enjoy helping people with loading questions, but it's clear you're not a fan of cracking open a manual for yourself.

Deciding something posted on the web is "best" over reading published loading manuals for established safe practices will likely someday be an expensive choice.

How many manuals has the person posting actually read? How much experience do they really have? Are they simply parroting what some dimwit posted on another forum?

Yes, you can learn stuff on these forums, but I take nothing, not even my own post as the gospel.

There's no replacement for reading and understanding the "whys & hows" boring details located in the front of most manuals.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. Just be careful.

The only place i know of is in 454 Casuall brass, Freedom arms loading date tells you to use small rille primers in there cases. Like everyone else said , please read up on your manuals,

Your reason sounds best. My ar15 may turn full auto caused by slam fires, but i bet it wouldn't.

Some people use both standard and magnum small rifle in the 223. Is this safe?

I think you need to read several manuals before you go any further. I try to give the best advice that I possibly can but my advice or anyone else's is no replacement for reading manuals. Now if you need help with something that you read in a manual or from a reputable reloading source maybe the words were complicated for you then I would be happy to help. Most manuals are very easy reads and very interesting and understandable. Verify everything you are told! Besides you will never not find a use for a manual!

Back
Top Bottom