• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

shtf ammo

I buy cheap for stocking up. I've got about 400 jhp for my ak, but now i just buy fmj. If it's a true shtf scenario, it won't matter what lead you are slinging if you get in a fire fight. Your just gonna want plenty of it. I think it was in Unforgiven,a clint eastwood western, a guy said. "i don't want to die from a lack of shootin' back". i agree with that logic.

Don't forget some for trading/bartering. Ammo shelves will simply clear out in a matter of a few hours if we get into a long term SHTF scenario and prices will skyrocket (employees aren't stupid - that's who will get it first). Same for food, fuel, emergency supplies. Larger retailers aren't generally stocking the stuff in the back anymore. Even smaller retailers have register systems that issue order alerts when stock is running low. So you have less stored by retailers using JIT delivery systems, and ammo won't magically appear from the back room like we saw at the 5 and dime when we were kids. Some folks I've talked to store ammo by the thousands of rounds and keep inventory lists. Hang around Bass Pro Shops long enough and you'll see some folks walking out with carts of the stuff. It's way more common than you'd think. It was really bad when OBummer was elected.

I was buying 100 rounds of .223 at $32 a box, now it's $40 at Walmart - a 25% increase in just over 3 years. Some people wouldn't mind that kind of return in their 401(k) these days. We see inflation slowing down, but that will truly hit the fan once we see a cycle of hyperinflation. The jury's out on if that will happen, but a lot of very smart people that I pay attention to say it's inevitable.

Don't underestimate the potential for this stuff to sell for significantly more than you bought it for if we see some type of major gun control event.

Don't forget some for trading/bartering. Ammo shelves will simply clear out in a matter of a few hours if we get into a long term SHTF scenario and prices will skyrocket (employees aren't stupid - that's who will get it first). Same for food, fuel, emergency supplies. Larger retailers aren't generally stocking the stuff in the back anymore. Even smaller retailers have register systems that issue order alerts when stock is running low. So you have less stored by retailers using JIT delivery systems, and ammo won't magically appear from the back room like we saw at the 5 and dime when we were kids. Some folks I've talked to store ammo by the thousands of rounds and keep inventory lists. Hang around Bass Pro Shops long enough and you'll see some folks walking out with carts of the stuff. It's way more common than you'd think. It was really bad when OBummer was elected.

I was buying 100 rounds of .223 at $32 a box, now it's $40 at Walmart - a 25% increase in just over 3 years. Some people wouldn't mind that kind of return in their 401(k) these days. We see inflation slowing down, but that will truly hit the fan once we see a cycle of hyperinflation. The jury's out on if that will happen, but a lot of very smart people that I pay attention to say it's inevitable.

Don't underestimate the potential for this stuff to sell for significantly more than you bought it for if we see some type of major gun control event.

Certainly agree with this post. The trade factor of ammo in a shtf situation will be crazy, along with food, water, and medicine.

One method I used to use t stock up on ammo is each week I got payed, payed my bills and set some in savings I would go and buy at least one box of ammo. I didn't think of it as a be nice if I could thing, I just looked at it as another bill. Next thing I knew I had 800+ rounds of remington corelokt .30-06 (my only weapon period back then was a hunting rifle).... I now try and buy in bulk, but it still is good if you can just grab a box here and there...

The way i look at it is this:

While buying in bulk is preferred. It's better to pay a little more a box, than to keep putting off buying the big expensive bulk shipment and not have any ammo when you really need it. And remember you won't know when that day you really need it is going to come until its already here and its to late.

Certainly agree with this post. The trade factor of ammo in a shtf situation will be crazy, along with food, water, and medicine.

Medicine.....Can you even imagine how expensive insulin and heart medications are going to be for those people that have to have it....I hate to say it but if it really ever gets bad and there is a collapse I would be willing to bet a HUGE number in the death toll will come from people dying from no Insulin, heart pills etc...

I think type 2 diabetes is going to be pretty much cured by a SHTF event. Diet and exercise will be the order of the day. Hypertension and a lot of heart disease brought on by overweight/sedentary lifestyles will fade out like type 2 diabetes. There are a lot of illnesses that the drugs for will become either a huge commodity or the lack of will be a death sentence, but the change in diet and activity are going to make for an overall improvement in physical condition in that respect.

I'm working towards my goal of having too much ammo...heh heh. ;)

I think type 2 diabetes is going to be pretty much cured by a SHTF event. Diet and exercise will be the order of the day. Hypertension and a lot of heart disease brought on by overweight/sedentary lifestyles will fade out like type 2 diabetes. There are a lot of illnesses that the drugs for will become either a huge commodity or the lack of will be a death sentence, but the change in diet and activity are going to make for an overall improvement in physical condition in that respect.

I'm working towards my goal of having too much ammo...heh heh. ;)

Didn't think of it that way...Neat insight....

Back
Top Bottom